Active Grille shutters and this winter

How well do  the grille shutters work in winter when ice and snow get build up on them during winter driving?  I know its been around for a while on other cars and trucks , I never heard of problems but i never had them ! we used a piece of cardboard  in the old days LOL ,

My grille is always caked with snow and ice , I work in emergency utility services and puts me on the road in storms all the time ,wondering if this will be a problem ?

since winter is just starting here . 

1 hour ago, bdsilverado said:

I wonder the same. Also I have noticed some days mine are open and some it's closed, while looking at it when I come out in the morning before I start it. 

they are working properly then,depending on the temperature. Dont know what the temp range is but when temps are cold shutters will be shut when you go to start it and open as temp increases

I havent had any problems yet with snow and ice build up keeping them from working

No issues here in Atlantic Canada.

Being only inches in front of the engine/rad I would assume they stay ice-free due to radiant heat being give off.

Edited by tanner709

2 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Have yet to see any issues in WI winters. The shutters are for aerodynamics and only open when the engine needs additional air flow.

OK Good to know , WI. winters are extreme ! I watched a ford video today , if it freezes or gets binded it will go back to working after it thaws and will not throw a code , I guess these should work the same

31 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Have yet to see any issues in WI winters. The shutters are for aerodynamics and only open when the engine needs additional air flow.

They also stay shut in cold temps at start up to warm engine faster 

Edited by Orlando8

• 2 weeks later...

We have some F150's in my company fleet that have the active grill shutters and no problems yet.  We were more concerned with mud (especially clay) getting thrown up on them and then hardening causing issues but none yet.

My 16 doesnt have them, but a friend had them fail on his wife's ford car and it actually caused a check engine light, so they wouldn't pass his annual State inspection until the grill shudders were fixed. Cost him like $700 since it was out of warranty. Hopefully chevy' s are not tied to the CEL.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 16 doesnt have them, but a friend had them fail on his wife's ford car and it actually caused a check engine light, so they wouldn't pass his annual State inspection until the grill shudders were fixed. Cost him like $700 since it was out of warranty. Hopefully chevy' s are not tied to the CEL.

I believe they are. I saw a video on YouTube where this guy was putting a light bar behind his 2017 Silverado and the shutters got in his way and he removed them and minutes later check engine light came on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SirenRed16 said:

I believe they are. I saw a video on YouTube where this guy was putting a light bar behind his 2017 Silverado and the shutters got in his way and he removed them and minutes later check engine light came on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The shutters will throw the CEL if they aren't working.

The shutters will throw the CEL if they aren't working.
That sucks. Hopefully if they go, it's a cheap part. On my buddy's ford car the shudders couldn't be replaced just by themselves, it was part of a larger set of stuff that had to be replaced causing the high price tag. But once they fail your inspection, they got you by the balls till you get it fixed.