Rocker Corrosion

I realize these trucks may not have seen enough salt, brine or calcium chloride yet.  Perhaps there is a link to the previous 900 trucks. 

Do these new trucks have any protection or design upgrades that prevent the rockers from rotting out like the 800's and other Ford and Chrysler products? 

I notice the design is similar, with the multiple water/moisture drains on the bottom.  Scares me a bit....

The drain holes that let out moisture also allows salt and moisture to enter the rockers. My 2008 had rust holes thru the rockers at 8 yrs and 90k miles. I decided to be proactive with my 2016 and I coated the inside of the rockers, fenders, doors, bedsides, & tailgate with Noxudol 700 cavity wax. Time will tell if it was worth it. 

50 minutes ago, MegaCode360 said:

The body panels of these trucks are galvanized, so they should be much more corrosion resistant.  But who knows what will happen if its exposed to tons of salt.

They have been galvanizing parts of these trucks for decades, rockers included.  It just isnt enough for all the crap they toss on the roads, especially up north.  

I'd flush out your rockers and rear wheel wells with water, let dry and then spray in some anti corrosion/undercoating spray. There's 3 plugs up in your rear wheel wells to gain access to the backside of the panel where the chevs always rust out. You can get in by removing the taillights too...

• 2 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see if they are any better. I do like that there’s the textured extra layer on the bottom painted side. Should help prevent some rock chips which can get the rust started.

On 12/3/2017 at 1:11 PM, Logan Lanfear said:

They have been galvanizing parts of these trucks for decades, rockers included.  It just isnt enough for all the crap they toss on the roads, especially up north.  

I dunno if thats true

my buddy has a bullet hole in his 2500 suburban from about 8 years ago. Metal has not rusted around it. In the thick of the salt belt too. I’ll be damned if my tahoe did that.

i was under the impression only some of the hd trucks were galvanized

The 06 1500 I used to own had galvanized body panels. However, it's a pretty light coat of zinc and can only do so much. The GMT 800's, 900's and the new K2xx's all need regular thorough application of a good oil spray annually in the salt belt, if you want to have any hope of the body not rusting out before 12-14 years old. You have to ensure it's very thorough; inside rockers, cab corners, doors, fenders, underbody, frame, suspension etc. There's a whole bunch of access plugs on the K2xx's to make access a bunch easier.

They also need to be washed frequently in the winter, including underneath.

Without regular oiling & washing, they will only last 7-8 years before serious rust happens.

18 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I dunno if thats true

my buddy has a bullet hole in his 2500 suburban from about 8 years ago. Metal has not rusted around it. In the thick of the salt belt too. I’ll be damned if my tahoe did that.

i was under the impression only some of the hd trucks were galvanized

My 1982 had galvanized panels in the fender wells and in the cab as well.  If you watch some older ads from the era they brag about the use of these panels to fight corrosion and increase life. 

On 12/14/2017 at 2:01 PM, 10SierraA.T. said:

Put your new one away in the garage for winter and buy a cheap rust-bucket beater to bomb around in. The beater will pay for itself by trade in day. 

Exactly what I have done since 1999.  Hence why I am asking about the new trucks - as I get older and closer to death, while I would like the new truck that I plan to get to last quite some time, I would like to DD this in the winter, but keep the rockers on like all of my other cars that I have owned for over 15 years....

Still doesn't seem possible in 2017???

That is the reason I ended up in my 2014, my 2002 started rotting from the inside out at the rocker panels and the rear quarter panels.  Went from one year not seeing a single bit of rust to the next year having it bubble out all over the place.  I hope my 2014 holds up better.

My intent is to take care of my '16 as well as I can. Unfortuabtely with the frame being waxed instead of painted it's going to add another element of upkeep.  

I really need to figure out the proper way to flush and drain my rockers and cab corners.

in 2026 I will buy a new truck and turn my current one into a winter and deer camp beater.

Archived