New here! 6.0 question

Got the truck back the other day. They told me no issues found anywhere. Transfer case and trans good. Told me it’s potentially tire noise. Just had a snow storm yesterday, put it in 4hi again; noise disappeared! Back in 2wd, noise starts back up. Switched it a few times to confirm. Hmmmm

That's weird
Usually it's the other way around
Mine has a slight whine in 4hi

Grizzly

• 3 weeks later...
On Sun Dec 10 2017 at 11:07 AM, grizzlyltz said:

That's weird
Usually it's the other way around
Mine has a slight whine in 4hi

Grizzly

This, should be the other way around. Wonder if something is ever so slightly cocked off center, and when torque is applied it straightens itself out....

I am on my 3rd GM 4x4 and the only time I heard a front whine was when I was in 4WD - and like you have observed the steering feel is much different when in 4WD. I would still not rule out an issue with the front diff. a small mismatch in the gear mesh could cause a whine when not powered. It might also be more noticeable when decelerating. The lash could still be in spec,  maybe on the edge, but in spec. It sounds like the dealer has closed the case on you. You have an option of going to a different dealer and letting them take a look at it, or perhaps find a shop that specializes in drivetrains like a transmission shop and get their opinion. It all depends on how much it bothers you. 

• 5 weeks later...

Try swerving left and right slightly while it is making the noise and see if you can make it  change when putting more load on one side of the front end. If it's louder when you swerve right the issue is on the left side usually.  (Retired Mechanic) 

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Archived