Speed Limiter hides vehicle manufacturers defect from consumers

Brand new 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 2WD, 600 miles. Has a speed limiter limiting the vehicle speed to 98 MPH. I installed a tuner to just raise this parameter only. At 99 MPH the truck began a drivetrain vibration that increased with speed. At 100-103 MPH it was extremely bad with a loud sound that filled the cabin and a vibration that felt like the drivetrain was about to fly apart. At 109 MPH the vibration ceased entirely. Slowing down from there the exact opposite happend with the vibration and noise subsiding entirely by 93 MPH. The truck also has developed a loud vibration noise at 52-55, and 34-39 MPH as the torque converter locks and unlocks. It will last as long as that speed and constant foot feed is maintained. I’ve owned many Chevrolet pickups to include a 1990 Silverado 1500 that could go over 140 mpg! I’ve never experienced this vibration and noise before. Could this be a problem on all 1500s that GM is covering up with software? I expect a $51,000 truck to be able to travel at 100 MPH if required without coming apart!!!! Any others experienced this? If so, was it diagnosed? Was it repaired? What was the diagnosis and the repair? Did the repaired problem return later? Thanks, Bart

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transmission blew up and puked tranny fluid everywhere! Just 657 miles on the odometer and 7 days ownership. Mostly interstate driving. No towing or heavy loads. Truck actually got 28.8 MPG on last interstate trip! Was averaging over 20 around town, so for those thinking I hotrodded it, mileage says different. So much for Chevy dependability!!! I should have stuck with Ford!! Lesson learned.

4 minutes ago, newdude said:

That's why there is a speed limiter.  You blew your truck up, no one else.   Poor quality on GM?  No.  Poor decision making on your part. 

This.

Oh, I forgot, you're right, you're always right.

You had nothing to do with it. :idiot:

:happysad:

12 hours ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

I expect a $51,000 truck to be able to travel at 100 MPH if required without coming apart!!!!

And I expect other traffic around me on the highway to be travelling at a safe speed, not blowing by me going over 30 mph above the speed limit. Just like when I see idiots on crotch rockets doing this, I have no empathy for you.

1 hour ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

My point is my 7 year old Ford with 114,000 miles on it has never left me walking, whereas my 7 day old, $51,000 Chevy Silverado with 657 miles just blew its transmission! Poor manufacturing quality on GM’s part! 

I'm willing to bet your ford wasn't able to exceed 98 MPH unless it was dropped out of a plane at 40,000 feet..

My '17 never had a limiter and has never been tuned by an aftermarket tuner.

Ok you all, you are grossly missing my point. If the transmission blew in an unloaded truck at 675 miles, there is no way it could have pulled my trailers, especially with a load. Luckily I cancelled a 500 mile trip because it would not have made it. Also the symptoms began a hundred miles or so before I put the programmer on it. The extra few MPH for a couple miles is all it took for me to know there was a larger issue. The tuner was on there for two days and about 60 miles of which 55 of those miles were within the speed limiters restrictions. Beat me up, call me names, tell me I’m a truck abuser, none of it replaces the fact that the transmission was faulty from day one and was going out no matter what I did. Poor GM quality in their transmissions, most likely built in Mexico or some other cheap labor country. Someone somewhere in the GM manufacturing and supply chain screwed this one up. I just happen to have bought their screwup. 

Also, one last thing: I am not a liberal. I’m as conservative as they come. I only bought Chevy because of the split seat heat and seat cooling for my back. A War Time Service injury. Y’all got really cranked when I mentioned Ford didn’t you? Neither my 2010 F250, my 1996 F250 and F350, and my 1962 F250 have ever blew a transmission or engine and have never left me walking. That distinction goes to my 2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ. Now, let’s keep politics out of the discussion please.

9 minutes ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

I'm willing to bet your ford wasn't able to exceed 98 MPH unless it was dropped out of a plane at 40,000 feet..

My '17 never had a limiter and has never been tuned by an aftermarket tuner.

The 2010 F250 can best 98 mpg in about 1/8th of a mile and best 140 at about a mile. All without being thrown out of a plane. I’d say my Chevy could get close to that if it had a good transmission and no speed limiter! I’m still trying to find out if the tranny speaks Spanish or French??? (Central America or Canada)

1 minute ago, Bart’s Silverado said:

Ok you all, you are grossly missing my point. If the transmission blew in an unloaded truck at 675 miles, there is no way it could have pulled my trailers, especially with a load. Luckily I cancelled a 500 mile trip because it would not have made it. Also the symptoms began a hundred miles or so before I put the programmer on it. The extra few MPH for a couple miles is all it took for me to know there was a larger issue. The tuner was on there for two days and about 60 miles of which 55 of those miles were within the speed limiters restrictions. Beat me up, call me names, tell me I’m a truck abuser, none of it replaces the fact that the transmission was faulty from day one and was going out no matter what I did. Poor GM quality in their transmissions, most likely built in Mexico or some other cheap labor country. Someone somewhere in the GM manufacturing and supply chain screwed this one up. I just happen to have bought their screwup. 

You are missing the point not us.  YOU defeated the speed limiter and caused damage to your truck.  Not GM.

Archived