Stake Pockets near cab

Just purchased my first truck 3 days ago and I'm going to install a Backrack as well as the Gator FX3 tonneau cover.  I've watched all of the installation videos and read the instructions so I'm pretty confident that the install will be pretty simple.  However when looking at the bed rails, I noticed that the stake pockets near the cab don't have a removable cap (like my work F150's did).  I'm assuming that i can just cut this out with a razor knife or dremel tool.  Has anyone had any issues with removing this?  I don't want to screw this step up and have to replace the entire rail since i just put a good chunk of money down for the truck.    Any and all suggestions are appreciated.   Thanks!! 

IMG_1988[1].JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, utility knife does a great job with them.  Whatever you do, do NOT use a handheld router, very messy and trashes the paint in the stake hole.  Cut them out along the inside edge of the marking for the hole, then go back and clean it up at the outer edge of the markings.  Also, don't rush it.

59 minutes ago, reardiff said:

Are there any options for covering the rear stake pockets?  Seems odd why the rears would be open and the fronts covered and require cut out?  

Rear ones are open and shaped as they are for a hand hold when using the corner step.

Archived