Diffences in types of level kits

I've see a few different level kits for my 2017 Sierra 1500 Denali.  Some kits are spacers that go at the bottom of struts, some kits are spacers that above the strut assemblies, and some have a combination of both.  Why?  Is there a particular reason for the use of each style?  Does one style provide an advantage over another? 

Any difference in ride with the ‘top over’ spacer or the ‘bottom mount’ spacer to create the level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No difference unless your also adding a preload spacer that gets inserted into the coil over assembly itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the top mount require shaving of the top strut bolts.  The split ones often avoid this.  My research found that a 1.5" - 2"  bottom spacer is the easiest to install, remove and have less potential for premature wear on other components.  You will still have a  level look and maintain enough rake for decent loads.  

I also have a 2017 Denali. I went with the ZONE 2” level for a few reasons. 

- I feel one the bottom spacer is more simple and moves less stuff around.

- The zone kit looked to have the highest quality bracket/relocation system for the Magneride sensors

My truck still rides like a Cadillac and I think it looks great.

5637694B-A250-442C-9204-A8AFEC59D525.jpeg

1 hour ago, Z2Z said:

- The zone kit looked to have the highest quality bracket/relocation system for the Magneride sensors

That's the direction I'm thinking I will go.  Thanks for the input!

7 hours ago, Donstar said:

Some of the top mount require shaving of the top strut bolts.  The split ones often avoid this.  My research found that a 1.5" - 2"  bottom spacer is the easiest to install, remove and have less potential for premature wear on other components.  You will still have a  level look and maintain enough rake for decent loads.  

That's the kind of input I was looking for.  Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, Z2Z said:

Did you do the install yourself? Any need for an alignment afterwards? What size tires (and wheel specs) are you running?

3 hours ago, Erion109 said:

Did you do the install yourself? Any need for an alignment afterwards? What size tires (and wheel specs) are you running?

I had it done at the place that sold me the wheels and tires. All leveling kits will require a front end alignment.

18x9  -12 Method Roost

285/65/18 Nitto Ridge Grappler

Only minor rubbing at full lock. It was easily fixed by pinning back the liner. This is a pretty aggressive setup. I really like it, but I would have gone with a zero offset if these wheels were available like that.

73C348E9-239F-42C2-AFF1-DD33790FEC4D.jpeg

15 hours ago, Erion109 said:

The zero offset would have brought your wheel in closer to the frame? Do you think that would’ve prevented the rubbing? 

I believe that the zero offset would have actually been a little worse because it is the inside of the tire that rubbed. I still think it would be an easy fix though. 

I would jave have liked the zero offset because it would make the truck look a bit less.... juvenile(struggling to find the right word for it). ?

Completely understand. If I can find a deal on factory 18” or 20” wheels, I’ll probabky just level mine and oversize the tires. I just don’t want spacers to help avoid rubbing. At that point, I’ll just buy some aftermarket wheels. Like you, I don’t want to look like a teeny-bopper driving around. 

Archived