What gas mileage does your ‘17 1500 get?

moto28

I got this ‘17 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 about a week ago and I was kinda let down by the gas mileage.

although, I am running 35” tires, I don’t feel like I should be only getting 13.3MPG. It could be that it just has to get broken in, my last truck which was a ‘15 started out getting 16MPG and after about 10k miles it started getting about 20MPG. 

Was just curious what the stock trucks with the 5.3 get and was wondering if I’m gonna need to get a programmer or just wait this out

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised on 13.3 with 35's.  13.5 with 33's, that seems a little low.  Tire wt. has a lot to do with it as does ride ht.  My '15 with the 5.3, 1" front end lift, trimmed front air dam, 3.08 gears and 32" Michelin LTX has averaged 15.9 - 16.5 (trip meters A & B) depending on driving habits and registers 22 average on highway runs.  AFM is disengaged.  For comparison, I have a '13 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4, 6.0 Vortec, 3.73 gears. It's averaging 12.5 mpg.  

That is about right for mpg's running 35 inch tires.  That big of a tire is very heavy and I assume you are also running at AT style tire which also reduced mpg's due to the more aggressive tread.  Your speedo and odometer are also off due to the larger tires showing even less mpg's than you really are getting.  No half ton truck out there is going to get good mpg's with big heavy tires.  

7 hours ago, moto28 said:

I got this ‘17 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 about a week ago and I was kinda let down by the gas mileage.

although, I am running 35” tires, I don’t feel like I should be only getting 13.3MPG. It could be that it just has to get broken in, my last truck which was a ‘15 started out getting 16MPG and after about 10k miles it started getting about 20MPG. 

Was just curious what the stock trucks with the 5.3 get and was wondering if I’m gonna need to get a programmer or just wait this out

Pretty much every 5.3 and 6.2 is getting 12-14mpg in dense city, and 22-23mpg highway.

18.0 lifetime average including highway/city/all towing. Normally returns 22-23 on highway trips unless I run over 74 mph. Lowest it has been on a weekly work commute average is around 14.5 with remote start warmups/colder weather and winter fuel. Summer weekly work commute averages 18-19. 

13 minutes ago, 20165.3Eco said:

Lowest it has been on a weekly work commute average is around 14.5 with remote start warmups/colder weather and winter fuel.

This is very important. Now is a bad time of year to be calculating MPG.

I'm stock except for 275/65r18 winter tires (same size as my 275/55r20 summers, but more aggressive tread and slightly heavier) and I'm getting around 13.5l/100kms. It's too be expected right now though, with winter fuel blends and longer idle times to warm the truck up. In the summer I'm getting 10.5l/100kms with no problem. That's hand calculated, which appears to show that my dash calculated average is about 1-1.5l/100km on the high side.

Sig shows my lifetime average...

45 minutes ago, aseibel said:

This is very important. Now is a bad time of year to be calculating MPG.

Good point Andy, and in your case when you're putting that plow of yours to work, only thing that would matter would be gallons per hour (gph) like farmers and heavy equipment operators keep track of.

1 minute ago, garagerog said:

Good point Andy, and in your case when you're putting that plow of yours to work, only thing that would matter would be gallons per hour (gph) like farmers and heavy equipment operators keep track of.

lol, yeah, I might be getting 11 mpg on a tank when I'm plowing. But I don't even know how the backing-up is calculated by the DIC. Half of plowing is looking behind me. I don't even plow commercially, only 3 driveways out in the country. So I might burn 3 gallons / hour of work, but I only drive 10 miles in that time.

10 hours ago, moto28 said:

"I'm running 35's but can't figure out why I'm only getting 13 mpg"  The kids these days. 

Be glad it's that high.  I'm running completely stock with the factory P265's and only get 12-14 in town.

PS  If you're getting the 13.3 mpg off the DIC screen, your actual mileage is probably even less than that, if you figure it with a calculator. 

11 hours ago, moto28 said:

How are you correcting the odometer reading to determine accurate distance?

Archived