Shop While You Drive? GM's New In-Dash Shopping System

Gorehamj

Marketplace-FBO-Hero.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

12-7-2017

General Motors has added new functionality to your next truck. Called Marketplace, it allows drivers to order food and do limited shopping while they are behind the wheel. We are all now familiar with pre-ordering at places like Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts. This new system mimics much of that functionality now done via one's smartphone, but through the infotainment system in the dash of one's truck (or car, SUV, or crossover). Included in the shopping section are GM accessories, GM WiFi plans, and service specials.  Food can be ordered at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, TGI Fridays, IHOP, Applebees and other locations. The shopping section includes Priceline

“The average American spends 46 minutes per day on the road driving. Leveraging connectivity and our unique data capabilities, we have an opportunity to make every trip more productive and give our customers time back,” said Santiago Chamorro, vice president for Global Connected Customer Experience, GM. “Marketplace is the first of a suite of new personalization features that we will roll out over the next 12 to 18 months to nearly four million U.S. drivers.”

The video has the best explanation for how it works, but carefully conceals whether this functionality is enabled during driving. GM-Trucks.com reached out for clarification on that point with GM’s Director Communications GM Global Connected Customer Experience and Urban Mobility, who issued the press release, but we have had no response.

So in the same vehicle you can disable features and limit others to keep your novice teenage drivers attention on the road. But also, in a do as I say not as I do type situation, you can take your attention from the road to buy things. I take it these cars will all be equipped with lane keep assist and forward collision alert also.

Terrible idea, no doubt from the mind of a millennial that can't wait the extra 5 mins in a line they had to walk to, for their chia mocha latte. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 1:11 PM, Daly said:

So in the same vehicle you can disable features and limit others to keep your novice teenage drivers attention on the road. But also, in a do as I say not as I do type situation, you can take your attention from the road to buy things. I take it these cars will all be equipped with lane keep assist and forward collision alert also.

Terrible idea, no doubt from the mind of a millennial that can't wait the extra 5 mins in a line they had to walk to, for their chia mocha latte. 

Oh it will be locked out unless stopped, you can put money on that. I can't even speed browse my music folder on my Honda when driving. It makes it go slower. How is taking longer to select a song safer? Because lawyers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived