Starter noise

RussW

Question

My 2015 Silverado Z71 5.3 ltr seems to have a starter noise. When using the remote starter function, when the engine starts, for a very brief moment there is a noise which sounds like the starter did not disengage & continues to spin. I don’t notice it as much when using the key in the ignition to start. This is not a normal starting sound & I’ve never on heard it on 3 previous Chevy trucks with remote starters. Any ideas or thoughts?

5 answers to this question

Just been to the dealer. He said they will look at it if I want but implied that I spend too much time hearing strange noises. He said there is nothing in the starting system that might be failing & said the system is “stressed” when cold & that might lead to different noises. I guess I gotta wait till something fails or leaves me stranded. What if I lived in a cold climate? Would it do it all the time? We’ll see.

Not surprised. They did the same thing to me 10 years ago with my truck and it's laundry list of problems. Kicked the can down the road until it was out of warranty, and I was stuck repairing their subpar parts out of my own pocket.

Par for the 21st Century course. :shakehead:

Hopefully you're still under the 36k mile warranty - if so, let GM fix THEIR problem. You shouldn't have to troubleshoot or pay to repair a brand new vehicle.

Make sure you tell them that the starter is NOT disengaging when the engine starts - tell them several times if you have to.

On 12/9/2017 at 4:38 PM, RussW said:

My 2015 Silverado Z71 5.3 ltr seems to have a starter noise. When using the remote starter function, when the engine starts, for a very brief moment there is a noise which sounds like the starter did not disengage & continues to spin. I don’t notice it as much when using the key in the ignition to start. This is not a normal starting sound & I’ve never on heard it on 3 previous Chevy trucks with remote starters. Any ideas or thoughts?

I have a 2015 Sierra 1500, and have been noticing a subtle yet abnormal noise, like something is wearing out when started- just a mater of time before that noise evolves into a truck that wont start

Thanks. That’s the plan. Still under factory warranty, just wanted to see if anybody else had a similar issue. These newer models all seem to have different sounds & feels that usually turn out to be normal, just have to get used to them sometimes. Like the electric assist steering and electric fuel delivery system, etc.

Archived