Odd but bad issue snow driving

Hid projector is what it says i have. Lt all star edition with added stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HID’s on the LT’s, not LED. I have the same. 2017 LT with allstar/midnight package. I was out driving around in the snow last night but didn’t notice a problem with snow building up on the headlights. HID do not put out the heat that halogens do. Same with LED. Not much you can do about as far as I know.

I’ll probably run into this at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can say I have never had this problem at all driving in the snow and can't say I know anyone that it has happened to. Seems odd to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Common problem...especially if you drive sloppy interstates.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Halogen, LED, HID, doesn't matter. When you guys are picturing the heat output of the bulb your picturing your scorching hot 500watt halogen construction lamp.

energy consumption = heat

wattage = energy consumption

So a 25watt LED, a 25watt HID, and a 25 watt halogen all make the same heat. They might have different light outputs, but the heat is the same.

A 1500 watt space heater

(15) 100 watt bulbs

an entertainment system drawing 1500 watts

(10) 150 watt computer monitors

all emit exactly 5,118.2 btu's of heat

Halogen, LED, HID, doesn't matter. When you guys are picturing the heat output of the bulb your picturing your scorching hot 500watt halogen construction lamp.

So a 25watt LED, a 25watt HID, and a 25 watt halogen all make the same heat. They might have different light outputs, but the heat is the same.

A 1500 watt space heater
(15) 100 watt bulbs

But the beam (and "heat") of a bulb is focused through lense...not radiating in all directions. I think most of it has to do with the plastic lense being an insulator. The bulbs are similar wattage to the old sealed beams, so "heat" should be similar.

For what it's worth, I ran a set of incandescent sealed-beam plow lights on my trucks when I lived in the snow belt for this very reason. The truck's lights would be covered, the plow lights would be clear of snow as they got warm enough to melt it off. And back when I traveled cross country, I would pull the LED tails off my Dodge and swap over to the OE housing with incandescent bulbs in winter for the same reason. It does help...

Steve
2012 2500hd

So dealership said they never had this problem lol and i should use rainx and if ut ruins my headlights plastic just say they yellowed for no apparent or known reason....and warranty would vmcover it..seems odd

14 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

But the beam (and "heat") of a bulb is focused through lense...not radiating in all directions. I think most of it has to do with the plastic lense being an insulator. The bulbs are similar wattage to the old sealed beams, so "heat" should be similar.

For what it's worth, I ran a set of incandescent sealed-beam plow lights on my trucks when I lived in the snow belt for this very reason. The truck's lights would be covered, the plow lights would be clear of snow as they got warm enough to melt it off. And back when I traveled cross country, I would pull the LED tails off my Dodge and swap over to the OE housing with incandescent bulbs in winter for the same reason. It does help...

Steve
2012 2500hd

The light output itself is actually an extremely small percentage of the heat.

I think even a modern LED light still only converts 10% of it’s energy into light and 90% is converted into heat

A 1500 watt space heater
(15) 100 watt bulbs

Good point. But where that heat is being generated will make a difference. LEDs tend to make heat in the ballast and electronics, not the filament. Halogen have no electronics at the back of the housing, so all heat generated is closer to the surface of the lense.

6 minutes ago, Bushleaguechew said:

Good point. But where that heat is being generated will make a difference. LEDs tend to make heat in the ballast and electronics, not the filament. Halogen have no electronics at the back of the housing, so all heat generated is closer to the surface of the lense.

Well right back at you with the good point

7 hours ago, greenfire said:

So dealership said they never had this problem lol and i should use rainx and if ut ruins my headlights plastic just say they yellowed for no apparent or known reason....and warranty would vmcover it..seems odd

I would use a paint sealant, shit makes plastic/paint/glass so much the stuff slides right off. I use wolfgang on my truck , no issues thus far with the headlights in wisconsin , granted looking back at my winter pic from last month they were pretty close to being covered, this was a 2 hour drive with extremely heavy snowfall 65to3PGl.jpg

I would use a paint sealant, shit makes plastic/paint/glass so much the stuff slides right off. I use wolfgang on my truck , no issues thus far with the headlights in wisconsin , granted looking back at my winter pic from last month they were pretty close to being covered, this was a 2 hour drive with extremely heavy snowfall 65to3PGl.jpg
Do u have a link tp the product u use?

35 minutes ago, greenfire said:

Do u have a link tp the product u use?

I use this stuff:  https://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-WG-5500-Gloss-Paint-Sealant/dp/B01AGELUJE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513259948&sr=1-1&keywords=wolfgang+sealant

Could probably use the jetseal or the highly rated colinite 845 which is much cheaper.

Common problem...especially if you drive sloppy interstates.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

I don't do much of that up in Alaska. Most of my driving is dirt roads and some short highway trips but it's not ever sloppy snow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Archived