2011 6.2NHT trade in for 2018 6.2?

Hey guys, since GM is having their end of year sales, I was wondering if it would really be worth it to get rid of my 2011 Silverado LT with the 6.2, 3.73, Blackbear tune, for a 2018 6.2 with 3.23?... My biggest fear is how the L86 6.2 is compared to my L9H 6.2....Is the L86 that much better than the L9h is to be worth the upgrade.  If I do pursue this more, I will have Blackbear give me a tune for it as well... Are there tranny tunes for the 8spd?

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Honest opinion?  I'd keep the 2011 until they drop the details on the 2019. 

Yeah, my original intention was to do that...and I still  may do that...The current offers are pretty good, not great, but pretty good at about 9k off sticker for what I am looking at. I would ideally like to see whats up with the 2019s before pulling the trigger... I am in no need of another truck, but if I could score a sweet deal I would do it... That's why I wondering how the L86 compares to the L9H

The L86 is a step up in horsepower and refinement but the 8 speed blows for anything except towing and putting the gas pedal to the floor. Overall the truck itself is better then the last platform but it's plagued with issues. My 2011 had 110, 000 on it and was a great truck minus the major tapping noise when the motor was cold. I'd probably keep the 2011 if it's in good shape and wait to see what the new ones are like.

Problem is what kind of issues will they have that show up a year or two after purchase.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ajensen383 said:

Yeah, my original intention was to do that...and I still  may do that...The current offers are pretty good, not great, but pretty good at about 9k off sticker for what I am looking at. I would ideally like to see whats up with the 2019s before pulling the trigger... I am in no need of another truck, but if I could score a sweet deal I would do it... That's why I wondering how the L86 compares to the L9H

I would wait.

Just started seeing information about the 2018 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and they are now pairing those with a 10 speed transmission. For whatever reason the 2018 trucks haven't gotten the 10 speed. They will probably gain it in 2019.

I don't have personal experience with the older gen LH9 but a co-worker of mine traded his 2010 denali for a 2017 with the L86 and he says although the new gen motor is quieter its noticeably more potent and on top of that I can tell you the difference in build quality in the new 2014 and up trucks is night and day compared to the 07-13.

I love my L86 and i'm not sure what "plagued with issues" some have mentioned is referring too but I have not had anything to complain about on this truck, nothing mechanical and no squeaks rattles, loose panels NOTHING. It has hands down been the best built most refined truck I've ever experienced, I'm a sucker for a good deal and I love this gen of GM trucks i'd say go for an 18, let the 2019 guinea pigs figure out the bugs on the new truck then if you are so inclined trade your 2018 on a 2020:thumbs:

1 hour ago, crankman said:

Keep it, my son has a 2011 6.2 with NHT 3.73 its a bad boy. No AFM its will flat run and its a excellent towing platform for 1/2 ton truck. 

I agree.... That was one thought about keeping the 2011, no AFM crap, although that can be tuned out...The truck as it sits pulls really hard for a truck...I ordered the truck exactly the way I wanted it and I have no regrets about anything, the truck has been flawless...The blackbear tune really woke it up though, especially for the tranny, nice firm shifts that i can get rubber when it shifts into 2nd....The piston slap is getting horrible as well as the mileage goes up...When i leave for work in the morning I feel like im driving a diesel...IT goes away after a few minutes but, damn its loud when its started up cold...

I think I will probably wait until the 2019s are revealed and specs are out...I really like the square '14-'18 bodystyle and if the new one does not appeal to me I may have to get an '18 while I like the looks of them....

One item to double check if you decide to go for a 2018....last I noted Blackbear could not tune a tranny since 2017 model due to a change in the software configuration from the 16s and earlier... I caveat it with they may now have figured out a work around but you might double check that if it is a decision driver for you... I would be surprised if the future if the 10 speed will be any easier in the future to tune as well but only time will tell.

There is a tuner out there that I had read has supposedly created a work around but I am not sure of who and how they do it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Archived