Tire Inflation from Those Who Tow

Wxman

Hello all

Just got a new travel trailer and will start towing this spring.  My question is about tire pressure for the Silverado when towing.  I will have close to 600lbs tongue weight, very little if any bed weight, and a good WD/Sway control hitch.  Truck is stock as far as suspension and tires.  Have the 265/65R18 Goodyear Fortitude on the Z71.

Sticker says 35psi.  I usually run 33 in the rear because I am usually empty or close to empty.  Max pressure on the sidewall is 51.  Manual says 35 is the minimum for the load truck is designed to carry.  I will be significantly below GCWR and GVWR, but significant none the less towing about 5k.

I am leaning to starting out with something in the 35-40 psi range in the rears, but wanted to see if there was any kind of consensus on something different.  Looking for it all, most stable ride and tire life.

Thanks

I'd be running the recommended 35 cold.

Your using a WD hitch.

Your tongue weight is below the max recommended tongue weight for a 1500, and

well below the max recommended tongue weight for a 1500 with a WD hitch in use. 

(700 for reg hitch and 1250 for WD hitch with 1500, per OM)

That load is not too bad at all, if your numbers are correct. But there are a lot of extras you take with you camping, I might suggest pulling your truck/trailer over a scale when fully loaded so you know exactly how much extra weight you have.

On factory tires, keeping them at 35 psi cold is all you really need. They will warm up and might approach 40psi while moving, but that is well within normal. You could add a few more psi if you want, it may even help your fuel mileage when loaded, but not necessary. Keep in mind that even with the 600 lbs of tongue weight, your rear axle would still only be holding as much weight as the front axle normally does with just the engine weight on it.

Trailer tires are @ high pressure for a reason and truck tires under heavy load are no different. Starting at minimum pressure towing is bad advice as the Risk under-inflation poses is a blowout due to heat buildup. I would start with 40-42 and then check pressure again after towing a bit. This gives you a safety margin to start with and as long as you don't go over 51 maximum there is no issue. Having higher pressure you will also feel the load is less squirmy and more stable.

When i replace my OEM 20" with michelins @ max 80 PSI i wont hesitate to put 50+ in them and pull my >10k hitch trailer cross country

I'm with GMdenali, I'd go with 40 psi at least in the rears, maybe a little less in the front tires. After you have a few tows under your belt and even before the factory tires are due for replacement, you might want to consider ditching the P rated tires for LT tires, considering a mix of variables: are you towing in the mountains with curvy roads where the stiffer sidewalls on the LT tires would be a benefit vs. the rougher ride you'll get when unloaded, you'll have to be the judge on that. 

Trailer tires are @ high pressure for a reason and truck tires under heavy load are no different. Starting at minimum pressure towing is bad advice as the Risk under-inflation poses is a blowout due to heat buildup. I would start with 40-42 and then check pressure again after towing a bit. This gives you a safety margin to start with and as long as you don't go over 51 maximum there is no issue. Having higher pressure you will also feel the load is less squirmy and more stable.

When i replace my OEM 20" with michelins @ max 80 PSI i wont hesitate to put 50+ in them and pull my >10k hitch trailer cross country

Trailer tires are high pressures because they are bias-ply a lot of times. Radial trailer tires don't need max inflation unless max load, just like a car tire.

I would run with what's on the door and recommended.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Ya I agree on P tires set. Cold st 35 maybe 37 but no more if your hitch wt etc is correct. I tow 7000lbs with 700hitch wt and used to do  the ild school add 5lbs in rear but after wearing out the center tread a new set of Michelins from overinflation I stick to 37 max cold. No issues and I pull 1200 miles one way. Many times 

now if you did not have a WD hitch different story 

Thanks for all the replies.  I am not maxing out any of the capabilities so it looks like my initial thinking was in the ballpark for most of the opinions.  A little extra psi in the rear might be OK, but not necessarily needed.  I thought CDNSS's comments/experience were very interesting.

When I actually get to tow I will monitor the tire temps, (along with the trailer brake  and tire temps).  If a 3 or 4psi extra lowers the temps I will probably run that.  Can't imagine running more than 5 psi over the door sticker for my situation.

Thanks all.

on my SR-A's, i would bring them up to 45lbs for towing 7k. the truck just felt too squishy with them any lower.

on the michilin defenders I just bought, max cold inflation is only 44 on them, and I have only towed once since buying.

42 will probably be my number for my 7k setup on those.

Higher pressure will help reduce sway. I tow a 32' trailer that's about 7000lbs with 700lbs tongue weight. First time I hauled it had about 45psi in my tires and it didn't handle great. I run LT tires so pressured up to 70psi and it made quite a difference. 

Archived