Slow to turn over- 09 Silvy with 5.3. Good battery and connections

Do starters die a slow death and loose the oomph to turn the engine over as quickly as they age?

My battery is fine per the auto store (who'd love to sell me a new one) and my current is less than two years old.  The cable connections look clean and solid.  Al the other electrical functions are fine.  It's just when cold especially that it seems to struggle to turn over quickly as it used to  (My other truck is a Ford which turns over super quick in comparison)  FWIW I have about 85k miles on it.

Thoughts?   Solenoid seems fine as it is quick to engage, just goes about turning over lazily...

I've had them get sluggish with wear and age. Sounds like it's time for a new starter before this one goes out and leaves you stranded somewhere.

2 hours ago, spikesputnik said:

Do starters die a slow death and loose the oomph to turn the engine over as quickly as they age?

My battery is fine per the auto store (who'd love to sell me a new one) and my current is less than two years old.  The cable connections look clean and solid.  Al the other electrical functions are fine.  It's just when cold especially that it seems to struggle to turn over quickly as it used to  (My other truck is a Ford which turns over super quick in comparison)  FWIW I have about 85k miles on it.

Thoughts?   Solenoid seems fine as it is quick to engage, just goes about turning over lazily...

Yeah, They would love to sell you a battery for sure, But they also really need to learn how to test a battery. If they are not load testing the battery they are not doing you any service.

Here is what I recommend.

1.) Have someone do a load battery test.

2.) Do a loaded voltage drop test on the Positive cable to the starter and then the Negative cable to the engine. You should have less than 1.50 on the loaded positive (during cranking) and less than 0.50 on the loaded negative. I would also check the voltage drop just between the negative and the positive during cranking to make sure it isn't getting below 11 volts. (those numbers are on the low end which I would consider to be bare minimum) 

3.) If everything else tests good I would do a voltage drop across the starter solenoid before I replaced it just to verify the problem.

I'm really thinking toasted battery, But 07-13 battery cables are crap. I got a stock pile of junk cables.

Thanks Camau.  The auto store did load test the battery and gave it a pass, but voltage drop test the cables will probably have to be done by my mechanic.  He's quite reasonable and never suggests replacing parts willy nilly, but in this case might just suggest replacing the cables diagnostically/prophylactic-ly    LOL

Archived