Stock 20" or 17" wheels

I currently have the stock 17" 6 spoke GMC wheels. They are good looking wheels but I do appreciate the enhanced appearance that 20" wheels can have on a truck.   I have come across a set of 5 spoke Silverado 20's which  are also appearing on new GMC's.  Without any consideration to tires, which are a better choice?  Is there any functional or aesthetic advantages to one over the other?  I have kept up with the threads on this topic but wondering if there are some current perspectives.  At this point the only justification I can come up with is that these 20's would be a refreshing change for my very average looking truck!

Current Rim                                                                                                                                                                                                             

wheelsb.jpg.f14246b10bbd1867183d52818039d818.jpgwheelsa.jpg.a28e68d8f52025f6dc9361be91dc5229.jpg

20 inch tires cost more to replace than 17. 20 offer crisper handling. 20's you have are Chevy design. Does center cap transfer? Aesthetic is a personal preference though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are a Chevy wheel and centre caps should be able to be switched.  This wheel, in black, is standard on GMC blackout models.  I do think of 5 spoke as Silverado and 6 a s GMC but this is not always the case!  The idea of crisper handling is compelling.

20 inch wheels are heavier than 17's so probably a small hit in mpg, they will ride a rougher and be more expensive to purchase tires. They will handle a little better though and in some cases they look better, though a clean aluminum wheel with a slightly larger AT tire looks best IMO and is more functional in most cases. 

Tyler

I like the look of your 17's more than the 20's in those photos.

I generally think trucks look silly with low profile rubber. You will feel the road bumps more with 20's because less rubber to absorb the impact. But I'm still used to the 16s I had on my old truck, so my current 18" setup seems like a lot of wheel to me. Its really going to come down to your preference on the visual. The increased tire cost of one replacement set won't make or break you.

I also believe that the 17" looks better in these two examples.  The 20" isn't bad and if there was some other advantage to 20" rims, looks wouldn't be the deciding factor.  My wife couldn't see the difference in the wheels so there will have to be justification for a switch greater than looks if significant money is involved!   ;-)

personally i like the 20's better. they just look better on our trucks then the 17s and 18s do in my opinion. your GMC caps will fit in those 20 inch wheels. 

Also if you do buy those 20's i would keep your 17's as winter wheels. I have the same 20s you do and have seen a bunch of them that look like crap after a couple years from corrosion from road salt.

Here's a little OCD perspective. I like the GMC wheels better. 6 lug wheels should have 6 spokes ! My seven spoke steel wheels just make me ask why ? Five spoke wheels make me scratch my head too. Even the aftermarket odd spoke wheels with center covers don't work for me because I know there are six lugs under the cap !

The 7 spoke wheels on my 5 lug boat trailer bug me too !! :) We all have our little quirks.

I am on the lookout for a set of 6 spoke 17" wheels like yours but could buy something aftermarket for the prices they want in my area.

On 12/12/2017 at 11:23 PM, Donstar said:

Are 20" rims significantly more susceptible to curb rub with stock sidewall height?  Tight drive-thrus have on occasion challenged the sidewalls of my tires.  

Yeah, there isnt as much sidewall on the tire to work with.  Gotta be careful.  

Archived