Your favorite tires????

steve76t

I've decided that I need to replace my stock Goodyear LS-2 tires with something that might actually be usable in the snow.  I'm gonna add a 2" Zone level kit and go with 285/55r20 tire size. But which tire???  I have my list narrowed down to in current running order.

1. Toyo Open Country AT-II Extreme  - 2nd most expensive at $335 each, 59lbs each, semi-aggressive tread design,  may be one of the quieter options?
  2. BFG K02 - most expensive choice at $350 each, but one of the lightest weight at 56 lbs, nicely aggressive design, good looking tire.
  3. Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - $306 each, least aggressive look, softer tread, quietest of the bunch?, may not last as long, same weight at the Toyo.
  4. Falken Wildpeak AT3W - cheapest by far at $255 each, save $380 over the BFG, also 59 lbs, aggressive design, tread life won't match the BFG or Toyos according some reviews.
  5. Mickey Thompson ATPZ3 - $304 each, "best" rating by Discount Tire, heaviest tire in the bunch at 65lbs, possibly the loudest, but love the "look" of the tire.

So with all that said, which tires would you go with?   

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've decided that I need to replace my stock Goodyear LS-2 tires with something that might actually be usable in the snow.  I'm gonna add a 2" Zone level kit and go with 285/55r20 tire size. But which tire???  I have my list narrowed down to in current running order.
  1. Toyo Open Country AT-II Extreme  - 2nd most expensive at $335 each, 59lbs each, semi-aggressive tread design,  may be one of the quieter options?
  2. BFG K02 - most expensive choice at $350 each, but one of the lightest weight at 56 lbs, nicely aggressive design, good looking tire.
  3. Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - $306 each, least aggressive look, softer tread, quietest of the bunch?, may not last as long, same weight at the Toyo.
  4. Falken Wildpeak AT3W - cheapest by far at $255 each, save $380 over the BFG, also 59 lbs, aggressive design, tread life won't match the BFG or Toyos according some reviews.
  5. Mickey Thompson ATPZ3 - $304 each, "best" rating by Discount Tire, heaviest tire in the bunch at 65lbs, possibly the loudest, but love the "look" of the tire.

I chose the Falken AT3W in a 305/55/20 on a 2.5 inch level absolutely love them. Pics don't do them justice look very aggressive but and quiet and ride great. Will definitely buy them again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Ozer said:

I have cooper Discoverer AT3 in 275/60/20 with front level. Rides great, no road noise and great in snow as well. It was like $150 a piece

Cooper tires perform as good as the ones that cost twice as much. If you want to pay an extra $600 just for looks, then thats up to you.

I assume the level is for looks as the 285/55/20 should fit without.   If your main criteria is looks then anyone of the tires on your list will give your truck a more rugged stance. If good snow traction is your goal then a good snow rated tire is your best bet. I find that the M+S rated Michelin Defender gives me great all year round traction, comfort and quiet.  

1) Fierce Attitude M/T ($250 for 18's)

2) Yoko Geolanders A/T (awesome performance for a AT, long tread life)

3) Toyo OC R/T (expensive)

4) Cooper ST MAXX

5) Pro comp / Amp AT's

623) BFNotsogoodwrench anything

624) Good year SRA

Remind me to never buy anything with 20s...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Remind me to never buy anything with 20s...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Haha, this! So many trade offs with a 20...

OP, also check out the General Grabber AT2, that is what I have on my truck. Much cheaper than the BFG with a similar look (and none of the hydro-planning issues the BFG's can sometimes have) and deeper tread with a great warranty (in P rating).

Cooper AT3 were my second choice and probably what I will go with next time.

Tyler

Also consider Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Dick Cepek Fun Country, and Kumho Road Venture AT51 in that size, as the Coopers and Kumhos cost less.  I would also throw Goodyear Wranger DuraTrac into the mix, but not sure if they make that size.  Of the tires you listed, I'd rank them 1, 4, 2, 3, 5 for your Denali.  But of course the choice is yours; choose whichever one you like the looks of the best. 

Couple of more choices Hankook Dynapro ATM and Continental TerrainContact AT.  Size 285 55 20 Hankooks weigh 62 pounds from their spec sheet.  The Continentals are available in size 285 60 20 and weigh 57 pounds.  Both these are recommended by Consumer Reports along with Michelin LTX AT2 which is pricey but only weigh 53 pounds.   Only tire on your list I wouldn't run are the Mickey Thompsons.  Friend put these on a 2500HD and they were garbage.   Wore badly and were short on traction. Cooper AT3s are a pretty decent tire for the $. 

Archived