Your favorite tires????

steve76t

12 hours ago, Donstar said:

I assume the level is for looks as the 285/55/20 should fit without.   If your main criteria is looks then anyone of the tires on your list will give your truck a more rugged stance. If good snow traction is your goal then a good snow rated tire is your best bet. I find that the M+S rated Michelin Defender gives me great all year round traction, comfort and quiet.  

Actually the level is mostly to get the front end up just a little.  Its too low up front & I have scraped the front valance on parking curbs and a couple rocks.  Two inch level should fix this issue.  The 285/55r20 tire size is what I think I want because I don't want to rub anywhere.  Also considering the 275/60r20, but they tend to run a little skinnier than the 285 depending on make of tire & I don't really like the skinny tire look.

My neighbor has the Michelin Defender on his Tundra & he's said he wouldn't buy them again.  They didn't wear as well as he expected.  He's also said hunting trips have been somewhat challenging due to traction issues in muddy conditions.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Remind me to never buy anything with 20s...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Agreed!  20" wheel does equal more expensive tires.  The five 35" Goodyear MT/Rs on my Jeep cost at least $200 less than the four tires I'm looking for on the GMC

12 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

2) Yoko Geolanders A/T (awesome performance for a AT, long tread life)

Didn't even think about the Yoko's.  I've had Yoko tires on my old 98 GMC Sierra that I sold 15 yrs ago & liked them quite a bit.  Also had Yokos on my wife previous car where they performed great too. Might just have to add them to my short list of options.

I've actually never bought the same set of tires twice in a row for the same vehicle. I'm kind of a tire snob, and I've never really been 100% happy with any set of tires I've ever owned. The closest thing I ever found to a decent all-around tire were the old school BFG AT's. That being said, I'm running Falken AT3's on my truck now, and they're the first tire that I'd consider buying again if/when these ever wear out. They're 3 peak snowflake rated, have deep siping, have fairly aggressive sidewalls, have a 55k mile warranty, and they're super cheap. That would be my top choice. 

Other options to consider would be the Cooper AT3, Toyo AT2, General Grabber AT2, and Yokohama G015. 

10 hours ago, steve76t said:

Actually the level is mostly to get the front end up just a little.  Its too low up front & I have scraped the front valance on parking curbs and a couple rocks.  Two inch level should fix this issue.  The 285/55r20 tire size is what I think I want because I don't want to rub anywhere.  Also considering the 275/60r20, but they tend to run a little skinnier than the 285 depending on make of tire & I don't really like the skinny tire look.

My neighbor has the Michelin Defender on his Tundra & he's said he wouldn't buy them again.  They didn't wear as well as he expected.  He's also said hunting trips have been somewhat challenging due to traction issues in muddy conditions.

Interesting observation by your neighbor.  I've only had mine for a little over a year and so far they are holding out well.  My previous versions of this tire lasted very well.  I see a good amount of snow but have limited recent experience in mud.  

I ran KO2s on my mega cab before I got my ‘15 Silverado. I liked them but they were expensive and heavy. Of course I was running 35/12.5/17. They did really well in the snow and slick roads of VA. I live in AZ now so not really worried about the snow. Lol. I will probably be looking at new meats once these stock ones wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have duratracs now. Great traction in all conditions so far. Way overpriced though. I’ve had multiple sets of General Grabber AT2’s over the years. Great all around tire. I wishe they made them in a 255/60-20 or similar to fit my truck. Im thinking about going down to an 18” wheel to get those tires again. 

I have duratracs now. Great traction in all conditions so far. Way overpriced though. I’ve had multiple sets of General Grabber AT2’s over the years. Great all around tire. I wishe they made them in a 255/60-20 or similar to fit my truck. Im thinking about going down to an 18” wheel to get those tires again. 

For sure. I like the look of some side wall. Not low profile off-road tires. That just doesn’t even sound right. Lmao. Go smaller rims and bigger meats! That’s why I’m keeping to the stock 17” or maybe go down to 15s or 16s for the right price.

Last I checked, the smallest wheels that will fot on a 2014+ is 17” due to the brakes. 

Gotcha. I had not done any checking into the wheel size because I’m not really looking to get new rims. I was just making a statement about the look and stance of an off-road truck that has the meats instead of low profile “off-road” tires.

14 hours ago, Donstar said:

Interesting observation by your neighbor.  I've only had mine for a little over a year and so far they are holding out well.  My previous versions of this tire lasted very well.  I see a good amount of snow but have limited recent experience in mud.  

He definitely abuses his tires a lot.  His truck seams to get used hard on weekends & often comes home dirty after a weekend off road.  The other thing I noticed is that his tires are the stock Michelin Defender A/T tires that come on the Tundras, not the M&S. 

Think I have my list narrowed down to either the Toyo AT II or BFG KO2.  Both aren't cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for. The Toyo is probably leading right now because actually height is a little taller than the BFG by about 1/2".  However, the BFG is a D rated tire instead of an E and supposed to have a slightly softer ride with lighter weight.  The other issue is that I prefer to use Discount Tire & they don't typically carry the Toyo tires.  May have to be a special order item with them. 

Archived