Disable AFM w/o Range

Hello,

I'd like to disable AFM on my pickup (2014 Silverado, 103k miles) but I don't want to use a Range device.  I've tried 2 different Range units and both caused me headaches with service this or service that lights coming on the dash.

I'm assuming I need to get a tune from what I'm reading, but I don't quite understand how that actually works.  I'm not looking for any performance changes etc, just AFM disabled.

Thanks,

Pete

Leaving it in 5/6th or 7/8th gear, using a range device, or using a handheld tuner to disable AFM are the 3 ways to go about it. You can use the tuner strictly to disable afm without adjusting other parameters but whatever you do will be detectable to a dealership if they look hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, pickupman87 said:

Hello,

I'd like to disable AFM on my pickup (2014 Silverado, 103k miles) but I don't want to use a Range device.  I've tried 2 different Range units and both caused me headaches with service this or service that lights coming on the dash.

I'm assuming I need to get a tune from what I'm reading, but I don't quite understand how that actually works.  I'm not looking for any performance changes etc, just AFM disabled.

Thanks,

Pete

You might need a current version of the Range device - they will update you to the newest one at no charge.  Check the FAQ on their website.

Unplug the vacuum pressure sensor on the brake booster.

AFM wont come on. You will get a message to service brake assist.

There's a cheap route....but bigleaguechews suggestion of not using Drive and using Manual-5 instead is better....if you dont drive on the highway.

Thanks for the replies.   I've done the M5 thing for a while but the vast majority of my driving is freeway, 65mph+.

I sold my Range devices a while ago so I can't send them back.  All the different errors it was throwing randomly put a sour taste in my mouth to the device.

The truck is past its 100,000 mile warranty so I'm not terribly worried about the dealer being able to tell something was modified.  If I did a tune, what would be the simplest option to delete the AFM?

1 hour ago, pickupman87 said:

Thanks for the replies.   I've done the M5 thing for a while but the vast majority of my driving is freeway, 65mph+.

I sold my Range devices a while ago so I can't send them back.  All the different errors it was throwing randomly put a sour taste in my mouth to the device.

The truck is past its 100,000 mile warranty so I'm not terribly worried about the dealer being able to tell something was modified.  If I did a tune, what would be the simplest option to delete the AFM?

Hello, we can do a full tune for you with our AutoCal, and disable the AFM within the tune as well. Send us an email [email protected]. We would be happy to help. 

Most cheap handheld tuners have an option to do it. Or you could just go with black bear and let them tune your truck while their at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have this  http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/truxp-xtune-plus-performance-tuner

It lets you disable it, also you can change tire size if you went larger, can change shift points, rev limits and so on. Reads and deletes codes.

Also comes with few tunes, im trying the 87 tune now and can feel the shifting difference and it feels like its little more peppier from start. 

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to follow up on this.

About a month ago, after a lot of thought, I decided to go with the AutoCal / Black Bear Tune on my pickup.   Poor luck with RANGE devices is ultimately what made me go this route.

I know everyone says it on here, but until you drive the truck before and after, it's hard to describe the change - and I mean that in a good way.   I didn't want a race truck, frankly my goal was only to turn off V4 mode however I asked BlackBear to make some modest changes to help the overall driveability.   Not only did they eliminate AFM but the engine, transmission, and gas pedal finally feel like they're on the same team and working together.  I've got 105k on the truck and it drives better now than it ever did.  The whole process took a little over a week from when I ordered AutoCal to when I got my files back and loaded on my truck.

Thanks again Justin and Jarrad w/ BB for making my truck a pleasure to drive.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Archived