6.2 owners: watch this

Bxnanaz

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care what anyone says. I can tell a big difference between running 87 and premium. Everything from idle to power and fuel mileage.

On the other hand, I can't tell the difference between plus and premium so I just run plus most of the time.

People also have to remember that higher octane fuel will decrease the deposits that will inevitably build up around our intake valves.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Colossus said:

On the new direct injection engines, the computers and calibrations take advantage of the higher octane to offer better performance and what not. 

DI isn’t really the reason, moreso the high compression these engines have. Higher compression = high octane needed to prevent knock

12 minutes ago, Bxnanaz said:

DI isn’t really the reason, moreso the high compression these engines have. Higher compression = high octane needed to prevent knock

Well yes and no. DI allows for higher compression and more advanced timing. So it’s not the DI itself per se, but the DI design. 

there is no doubt all of the newer engines run better on higher octane. I don't believe the MPG increase as it has never been true on my truck but my 2010 5.3 runs a lot better on E85 than 87. the reason they can run on 87 is the computers ability to pull timing and any other aspect that it needs to to keep the engine from knocking etc. when you add more octane the computer bumps all those parameters back up, which in turn lets the engine make more power

Archived