Steel cased .223 in a 5.56 marked rifle

My rifle is a DPMS and the reciver is marked .223/5.56. Anyways I have only run brass cased .223 in it. I got 120 rounds of steel cased .223 and I heard and read stories of casings getting stuck or the extractor rips off the rim of the case. Would fireing the steel .223 be safer in a 5.56 marked rifle or does it not make a differance? Im not too worried about it but its just a question.

Steel case ammo is more prone to corrosion than brass so if it's not stored properly rust can cause the cases to stick. Keep it clean and dry and your .223 will run in any .223 or 5.56.

4 hours ago, ShawnR said:

Steel case ammo is more prone to corrosion than brass so if it's not stored properly rust can cause the cases to stick. Keep it clean and dry and your .223 will run in any .223 or 5.56.

This. Also the only problem I've had is that they tend to have a coating on the steel casing so when your rifle is hot and you load another one in the chamber and allow it to cool the casing can become stuck even after the round is fired. Keep the chamber clean and don't leave a round in it if it's going to cool down and you shouldn't have to worry about it 

Keep the rifle lubed with oil, almost wet and youll be better off.

I have a case head rip off in my DPMS AR10 running Tulammo.

Shooting .223 in a 5.56 is not a problem, shooting a 5.56 in a .223 barrel could be a problem. My 5.56 barrels can eat the steel case ammo, my .223 Wylde barrels do not like it at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 8:18 AM, ShawnR said:

I can't tell you how often I see this (emphasis in bold and mine) and it's wrong. Long story short 5.56 is almost identical to .223 but there are slight differences, most notably 5.56 has increased pressure and a slightly longer "neck". Now, to be fair, running 5.56 in a rifle with a barrel marked .223 will likely run but you are risking increased malfunctions because of the differences noted above. A 5.56 will run .223 without a problem and cycle although you are getting slightly less pressure leading to a decrease in round performance. (Source)

Also, a clean rifle is always good, but a bone dry one is not. Lube is an ARs best friend.

Archived