Oh, yeah, riiiiight, Mr. Dealership

SnakeEyeSS

So I was ready to buy a 2017 Camaro SS Convertible tonight. It was a great price, the only reason I was there. They claimed they have an automated price system and a algo reduces the price based on inventory age, but it went to far on  this particular car and on Monday it's going back up about 2k. (They have had it since October, when I saw it on a sunday, so who knows, probably a scam though). It was priced under everyone's trade in estimator and it still has 2 years of bumper to bumper. Seemed like a good bet. 

So they thought I was going to trade in my like new Accord, I said no. Loan? No, I'll bring a cashiers/certified check Monday. Oh, ok. So they bring out some paperwork.

First thing says I agree them access to my credit info. I said no, they said oh it's just a general form for every purchase. That's reasonable, but I cross out that part anyway before I sign. I tell him I just read that Jalopnik article about dealership loan scams  yesterday, people signing loan apps, not buying a car, but finding out they have mystery loans from that dealer.  So  they bring out more paperwork. At this point I'm thinking, 10 months ago this car sold for 18k more, yeah it's a deal but maybe would top down enjoyment or bank interest be the better return?

So he brings out more paperwork.

"I need you to fill this out"

- "Sorry, I'm not filling out a Credit Loan Application, there is no reason to.

"Oh it's not for a loan, it's because this is the only paper we have that we use to record your personal information for the title"(this is a multi site dealer chain, FYI)

"Then you guys need to get a new form, I'm not signing anything that says loan application when I'm not getting a loan."

"But we need you to sign to verify your information is true, its for the title, like I said we aren't asking for your social so you dont need to worry we cant run credit without it"

"You guys have my drivers license and a copy of it, I told you that is the correct info for the title"

"But we have everyone do this for a purchase regardless, we don't have another form"(or a blank piece of paper, apparently)

"OK, thanks, but I'll have to pass on the car"

And I left. And the worst part is he didn't try to get me back in, which means that probably works so much they don't use another form. He even claimed he had the same discussion with a lawyer who finally came around and signed.

Last time I bought a new car was in 2014, deals may be different today.  But from what I remember if you bring in a check, the only paperwork you have to sign is the invoice and another sheet to acknowledge if something additional is promised (exhaust tip, lifetime oil change, detailing, etc) that's not listed on the invoice.  Yeah, you didn't have a good feeling about the deal and did the right thing by stepping back.

I got a text this morning that it was still available for the price, but he wasn't sure how long. LOL. Yeah, nice scam they tried to pull. They  not only lost one sale, they lost me even stopping by next time. And I like buying cars :lol:

What shocks me is how many people I have had tell me they have seen that before. Several guys on another site and a coworkers have both said they walked out on deals because they caught a unneeded loan application when signing forms.

What a load dude. When I bought my truck Dad and I showed up, he handed over the echeck from USAA, I signed the purchase agreement and the mileage affidavit, and off we went. P.T. Barnum was right though, I bet the get a lot of suckers that way. 

Be careful with USAA. Bought a 2014 F150 STX and did the whole echeck thing. Paid off in a year...got title from USAA.....but looking online in their documents section.....said I borrowed $48k when I borrowed half that.....seemed fishy. ...very fishy.

I got a text this morning that it was still available for the price, but he wasn't sure how long. LOL. Yeah, nice scam they tried to pull. They  not only lost one sale, they lost me even stopping by next time. And I like buying cars [emoji1]

What shocks me is how many people I have had tell me they have seen that before. Several guys on another site and a coworkers have both said they walked out on deals because they caught a unneeded loan application when signing forms.

Am I missing something? Was the car available at the advertised great price? What’s the scam? A form?

Is this a reputable dealership with a good BBB rating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

Am I missing something? Was the car available at the advertised great price? What’s the scam? A form?

Is this a reputable dealership with a good BBB rating?

I was wondering the same thing. If you don't put your SSN on the form then who cares. Also they can't just get "New forms"... They are required to use "Certain forms" which are mandated by the DMV for state and government purposes to insure title security.

The dealership doesn't just print out random forms unless they are committing fraud.

But with that being said... If you were not taking out a loan, the only form I know you should have to sign is the buyers order and the check from your bank. But if you didn't have a check in hand I can see why they wanted you to fill out a credit application so they can see if you are just wasting their time, or if you are really capable of buying the vehicle.

16 hours ago, carnau said:

I was wondering the same thing. If you don't put your SSN on the form then who cares. Also they can't just get "New forms"... They are required to use "Certain forms" which are mandated by the DMV for state and government purposes to insure title security.

The dealership doesn't just print out random forms unless they are committing fraud.

But with that being said... If you were not taking out a loan, the only form I know you should have to sign is the buyers order and the check from your bank. But if you didn't have a check in hand I can see why they wanted you to fill out a credit application so they can see if you are just wasting their time, or if you are really capable of buying the vehicle.

All they had to do was ask. They didn't, I could have given them proof in 30 seconds or less, heck I would have even showed them my credit score. Instead they lied. I have bought cars from dealers before, didn't have to sign a Credit/loan app when I bought my Tahoe. I did the exact same thing too, I told them if we agree on a price I'll come back with the cashiers check. The funniest part is they believed me and I was in a 5 year old car. If this dealer didn't, I was in a car worth the same or more than what I was buying.

Oh, and they said the price was going up Monday and it was a mistake so I needed to buy right now. The price never did, it's *edit* itd GONE DOWN ANOTHER 800. I called back and offered him $3,500 less than they are asking now

:lol:. Fantastic

1 hour ago, SnakeEyes 325is said:

All they had to do was ask. They didn't, I could have given them proof in 30 seconds or less, heck I would have even showed them my credit score. Instead they lied. I have bought cars from dealers before, didn't have to sign a Credit/loan app when I bought my Tahoe. I did the exact same thing too, I told them if we agree on a price I'll come back with the cashiers check. The funniest part is they believed me and I was in a 5 year old car. If this dealer didn't, I was in a car worth the same or more than what I was buying.

Oh, and they said the price was going up Monday and it was a mistake so I needed to buy right now. The price never did, it's *edit* itd GONE DOWN ANOTHER 800. I called back and offered him $3,500 less than they are asking now

:lol:. Fantastic

Unfortunately one bad apple can ruin the bunch. Dealers get a bad wrap. 

I hope you get it for 3500 less lol.

I still don’t understand why you say it was a “scam”. They’ll always bullshit with the price telling you “it’s going up tomorrow”, etc.. that goes in one ear and out the other when they start using that tactic.

I don’t care what kind of forms they had, without SS# they can’t run any credit checks

On 12/22/2017 at 9:21 AM, Loco-diablo said:

I still don’t understand why you say it was a “scam”. They’ll always bullshit with the price telling you “it’s going up tomorrow”, etc.. that goes in one ear and out the other when they start using that tactic.

I don’t care what kind of forms they had, without SS# they can’t run any credit checks

Would you really trust someone that casually lies to your face, for personal gain, to do the right thing?

I don't. And no, not all dealers or salesman are like that. It can be very hard, but I have found great salesman that didn't BS. 

You CAN run credit report or background info without a SSN. Do a search on it. And they asked me to sign a Credit LOAN application.( I'm assuming you are not one of those morons that's signs those without reading the fine print.)

If they had written up a form on the spot without the 12 lines of small print for a credit application, I would have signed it.

If I signed that form, that said "you consent to "insert dealer name" to access your credit information with regards for applying for a Loan" blah blah blah a few hundred more words."   They cam pull my credit report and even sell it. They had me sign another form first for consent to release any information they obtain through the process(again, I read the fine print, they say they don't sell it for financial gain, just anyone they have a business relationship with. :lol: ). 

Guess what, you sign that, the can get credit info. And if you read read my entire post, there has been a big scam running across the nation where people were only signing credit loan applications, they not going though with the purchase, and dealers WERE doing stealth loans under the people's names to boost their numbers on cars they never test drove. They were forging signatures, and other crap.

And before you say a big dealer won't do that, WELLS FARGO did it to thousands of people. 

Archived