Paint Opinions?

My clear coats peeling and the paint needs some work so I plan on repainting my truck.  I thought about going with the stock green but the paint is expensive.  I tossed around some ideas and decided I might want to paint it like my '82 GMC.  I drew it up very roughly in Microsoft paint (it doesn't look very good)

Polly Painted Red.jpg

I used the Omni LV line for painting the fender and door for my '04 Sierra 3500 (Omni MP895 Sealer, Omni LV MBPX for base, Omni MC262 clearcoat), over ProForm DTM 2K Urethane High Build Primer.  Paint matched to the GM paint code, it's pretty close to the rest of the paint, but there is a little difference as the existing paint is a little lighter and not as shiny as the new stuff (14 years of paint fading for a work truck).  It's only been 2 months, so I can't say how well it lasts.

Initially, I wasted maybe $150 with the Duplicolor Perfect Match paint-match spray cans before giving up on them, buying a starter set of HVLP guns and spraying it using them.  I was just learning how to paint, so I wound up redoing the fender 4 or 5 times, and the door twice before I got a good result (it wasn't the paint, it was me just making different mistakes).

Archived