Floor shifter won't shift into 4 high many times

2017 Silverado Crew LS here,

I have the floor shifter, and I'd say half the time I try to engage 4 high, the stick won't pull down (back). It just feels stuck or jammed. It's getting annoying because it's happened a few times I needed to engage it.

Thoughts, ideas?

7 hours ago, davester said:

when do you try to shift?  in gear?  when vehicle is stopped or rolling?

For my truck, with an NP261HD, if I'm stopped, it generally won't like shifting, but once I'm rolling, and not jamming on the gas, it shifts no problem.

Happens all the time under both circumstances.

1 hour ago, jipi121 said:

Where do you live? Because mine shift with more effort if the oil is very cold.

I live in the great white north (Canada). If this is a thing, that could certainly explain in. This is my first truck, so maybe is a common problem in cold climates?

I live in the great white north (Canada). If this is a thing, that could certainly explain in. This is my first truck, so maybe is a common problem in cold climates?
I am from Quebec, Canada and when it's cold the oil is more thick. When you rolling the oil warms up and it become easier to shift.

1 hour ago, jipi121 said:
1 hour ago, wwelles said:

I am from Quebec, Canada and when it's cold the oil is more thick. When you rolling the oil warms up and it become easier to shift.

Any risk to parking in 4x4 High? Seems kinda frightening, the idea of getting stuck due to not being able to shift into 4x4.

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, and it gets a little nippy out, and the cold doesn't make it significantly any more difficult to shift to or from 4wd.

I would suggest first checking that the shift lever linkage hasn't bend/moved (unlikely, but not impossible), and if that looks ok, then maybe the pads on the shift fork are too far worn, or the synchro disc (it's a friction cup that's part of a mechanism to make it easier to shift in/out of 4wd) is worn out.

But I just realized you have a newer truck, which uses a different transfer case.  But the overall design inside the case is the same...

I have the same issue, like it from new. I leave mine in 4x4 when parking in the winter because it is so difficult to shift it until warmed up. Oil change (early at about 40,000 kms) made no difference.

Even when warmed by driving for a bit it still isn't easy. My 20 year old jeep went into 4x4 smooth as silk after sitting outside unused for 2 years.

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

I find it helps to go in reverse in 2WD and then forward and then shift into 4WD. Same process works when it is stuck in 4WD and I will go in reverse to unload the transmission gears so shifting by the solenoid requires less force.

Archived