Hey all, I will start from the beginning here. Purchased my new 2017 Sierra Elevation Edition in February 2017. Drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it. This is my first new vehicle so its been a little discerning to me that this has more issues than any used car I have owned before. 

A few weeks after owning the truck, my microphone stopped working for my phone calls and the onstar stopped working all together. My OnStar module died and they replaced it with a new one. About 5 thousand miles later, my trucks radio screen started randomly going black, turning off all sound, then coming back on again. It would resume where it last was, phone call still intact or radio still on the right station. This went on for about 2 weeks then my dash lit up and chimed at me, the radio turned off like it does I get a warning of a Power Steering Failure. I call my local shop and get it in there right away. The drive in, the power steering worked just fine. 

They said the reading came back as High Voltage, they updated the computer and sent me on my way. Fast Forward to 3 weeks later, my truck starts doing the radio off again but this time the dash lights all shut off too. I can't be sure but it seems to do it when its wet outside. It did not have problems after I was in the shop but it was also dry outside. I also noticed when this happens the voltmeter spikes high.

I am dropping my truck off again the Tuesday after Christmas. Does anyone have experience with this before? The shop told me last time they have never seen this before. 

Thanks!

I had very similar issues with my truck, it ended up being the negative battery terminal cable. It took almost a month for the dealership to find the source of the problem.  Issues like this seem to be associated with a bad G218 ground, there is a pretty easy fix posted on the forums.

13 minutes ago, adamj2121 said:

I had very similar issues with my truck, it ended up being the negative battery terminal cable. It took almost a month for the dealership to find the source of the problem.  Issues like this seem to be associated with a bad G218 ground, there is a pretty easy fix posted on the forums.

I've seen the ground fix forum and read the symptoms. It was close to my issue but no one reported their radio being effected which seems to be my main issue. What did the dealership do to fix the issue for you?

They replaced the battery and the negative battery cable. The radio was turning off and coming back on, exactly as you described. I also had various other electrical issues; power steering failure, power brake failure, lights turning on and off, anti-theft warnings. So my issue might have been a little more severe than yours and the fix may or may not work. 

My my biggest piece of advice, be persistent and insistent with your dealership. Don’t accept the line of: “We couldn’t replicate the issue”.

The PI that explains how to fix the G218 ground also covers the radio going blank and gives 4 or 5 things the Techs are supposed to check.  One of these things is voltage drop through the battery cables.  Tell your Service Advisor to pull the latest revision of PIT5405 (I attached Rev "B" but there may be a newer one).

PIT5405B Electrical Ground.pdf

Edited by sk

Thanks everyone for the help. Found this video and am going to attempt this myself before taking the truck into the shop. I can't afford to be without my truck as I am going to the mountains soon while also not wanting anything to break while in the snowy mountains. I will share my results after I have completed this.

• Like 1

This is a common occurrence now. This instance however, the dash was going on and off more than usual. Then a stabilitek failure went off and the truck chimed at me. More flashes and the error went away. 

Edited by Robert Sutton
Update with video of issue and more detail.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received a call from the shop. My truck has been with them since Tuesday now. The guy working on it has not been able to replicate the issue when it happens to me daily. He told me if it does not happen by tomorrow that I will have to come pick the truck up until we can replicate the issue again. He said because there is nothing to fix that GM would not cover my rental so I would have to possibly pay for it through the weekend if I don't get my truck back from them. 

He then went on to say he cannot attempt any repairs without reason or codes, otherwise those repairs would not be covered by GM.

I contacted GM Customer Care and they have escalated my case to a Senior Advisor. I told the technician I feared for my safety driving it in its current condition. Still told to pick it up tomorrow (Friday) if they can't replicate the issue. 

6 hours ago, Robert Sutton said:

Just received a call from the shop. My truck has been with them since Tuesday now. The guy working on it has not been able to replicate the issue when it happens to me daily. He told me if it does not happen by tomorrow that I will have to come pick the truck up until we can replicate the issue again. He said because there is nothing to fix that GM would not cover my rental so I would have to possibly pay for it through the weekend if I don't get my truck back from them. 

He then went on to say he cannot attempt any repairs without reason or codes, otherwise those repairs would not be covered by GM.

I contacted GM Customer Care and they have escalated my case to a Senior Advisor. I told the technician I feared for my safety driving it in its current condition. Still told to pick it up tomorrow (Friday) if they can't replicate the issue. 

When you go to pick it up request that the tech ride with you to see if you can replicate the problem with him in the truck. It’s possible the tech is only driving it for a few miles or not long enough for the issue to present itself. When I was having electrical issues I found out the tech was checking for the issues by starting the truck and sitting in it for minutes to see if the screen went blank....

You already have video if it happening, so it seems hard for them to say it is a non-existent issue. I would send the video to the Senior GM Customer Care Advisor. 

I’ve also found bringing the issues up to the sales manager has benefitted me greatly in getting issues addressed and being taken seriously. The techs and service advisors don’t care as much about keeping a customer satisfied as a sales manager/person does. This could differ in effectiveness from dealer to dealer, but it can’t hurt. The more people that are aware of the issue the better.

The shop called me last Friday to pick the truck up. Said they fixed it with another update. My radio is blue now instead of red. 2 days later it happened again. Filmed this Tuesday. Taking it into the shop as I am typing this. 

You can’t tell me this is not dangerous. 

Called back again today to come pick my truck up. They are now telling me the issue is because I have a Dash Camera plugged into the truck. I honestly do not remember if I have it plugged into the USB port or a 12v to USB adapter. I can't see my problems coming from the 12v but can understand the entertainment USB port. I want to say it was in the 12v.

They said my dash lights would brighten then dim when the camera was plugged in. When unplugged it the lights stayed consistent. So I am going to pick the truck up and not have anything plugged into it for a week or so I guess. I am so hoping it is as simple as the camera. 

41 minutes ago, Robert Sutton said:

Called back again today to come pick my truck up. They are now telling me the issue is because I have a Dash Camera plugged into the truck. I honestly do not remember if I have it plugged into the USB port or a 12v to USB adapter. I can't see my problems coming from the 12v but can understand the entertainment USB port. I want to say it was in the 12v.

They said my dash lights would brighten then dim when the camera was plugged in. When unplugged it the lights stayed consistent. So I am going to pick the truck up and not have anything plugged into it for a week or so I guess. I am so hoping it is as simple as the camera. 

Yeah, I'm going to call bulls**t on that one. If that were the case plugging your phone or any other device in would cause the same issue. It shouldn't be happening regardless of whether a device is connected, like it is designed to be, or not. If any USB powered device is drawing enough power to shut off the lights and instrument panel completely then there are serious electrical issues. 

1 hour ago, adamj2121 said:

Yeah, I'm going to call bulls**t on that one. If that were the case plugging your phone or any other device in would cause the same issue. It shouldn't be happening regardless of whether a device is connected, like it is designed to be, or not. If any USB powered device is drawing enough power to shut off the lights and instrument panel completely then there are serious electrical issues. 

Ya I do not believe it myself. I will do as they ask though. The next time I have to take it in I will be raising h3ll. So much time out of my day dealing with this. So many rentals. How long and how many times until I can pull Lemon Law into the equation?