I immediately noticed it was wet in your video.. I have a 17 Denali and I have noticed that after I take it to the car wash (hand wash ) the radio screen blacks out (sometimes)... I called on star once when it happened.. they had me turn off the truck for x minutes and start it again. It was fine until the next time.. If it ever stops snowing and I get to wash my truck again I guess we will see if it continues but I’m confident H2O is a factor...

If it helps.. my Dodges radio used to black out when it got hot outside.. luckily I live in Canada..

Ok everyone here is the update. It has been a while since I have posted here about my issue. The dealership got a new fuse block in, they replaced it and still the issue occurred. They then blamed my HVAC Module, put a new on of those in. Still no dice.

Just this last week they noticed my headlights going dim then bright just like my instrument cluster. They told me they believe it to be my Alternator. Which I had told them on January 25th I tested the alternator and gave them my results. I was not very happy. If you look back to page 2 you see my alternator test results, IN JANUARY!!!!

Well the new alternator is installed now. It only took them 3 months to diagnose what I had already done months ago. I have not seen any symptoms since getting the truck back Friday. Lets hope that was it and the problem does not return. 

I would like to share my experience of this as well in hopes someone from GM reads my post. The dealership did everything right, except not listening about the alternator. I understand they are not allowed to fix something unless proven broke by error codes or GM tells them to. GM on the other hand was absolutely awful. I worked with 4 different advisors and was told they'd call me back on several different occasions and they missed the ball every time. They would call several days late with less details than I had. My shop was on top of it calling me and letting me know the progress every step of the way. Multiple times I had to tell the GM advisor what the shop was doing because they had no idea. I left about 7 voicemails throughout this adventure and my advisor responded to 1. GM, if you are reading this, please work on your customer service.

On 4/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, Robert Sutton said:

Ok everyone here is the update. It has been a while since I have posted here about my issue. The dealership got a new fuse block in, they replaced it and still the issue occurred. They then blamed my HVAC Module, put a new on of those in. Still no dice.

Just this last week they noticed my headlights going dim then bright just like my instrument cluster. They told me they believe it to be my Alternator. Which I had told them on January 25th I tested the alternator and gave them my results. I was not very happy. If you look back to page 2 you see my alternator test results, IN JANUARY!!!!

Well the new alternator is installed now. It only took them 3 months to diagnose what I had already done months ago. I have not seen any symptoms since getting the truck back Friday. Lets hope that was it and the problem does not return. 

I would like to share my experience of this as well in hopes someone from GM reads my post. The dealership did everything right, except not listening about the alternator. I understand they are not allowed to fix something unless proven broke by error codes or GM tells them to. GM on the other hand was absolutely awful. I worked with 4 different advisors and was told they'd call me back on several different occasions and they missed the ball every time. They would call several days late with less details than I had. My shop was on top of it calling me and letting me know the progress every step of the way. Multiple times I had to tell the GM advisor what the shop was doing because they had no idea. I left about 7 voicemails throughout this adventure and my advisor responded to 1. GM, if you are reading this, please work on your customer service.

Hopefully this fixes your problem, glad to hear that your truck seems to be fixed!  I don't know how many times your vehicle was in for warranty repairs, but you can pursue a breach of warranty claim against GM to receive a reimbursement for lost value on your asset due to the spotty service record. My lemon law attorney mentioned that GM may offer that to me instead of a full buyback since my truck was used and sort of in a gray area (according to Ohio's lemon law). The breach of warranty is a federal law and pursuing a claim incurs no costs to the customer, GM absorbs all attorney fees. Unfortunately, that is about the only way you are going to get GM to listen.

I had multiple calls and voicemails to GM and was hoping to arrive at a mutually beneficial resolution before having to involve legal counsel, but GM's customer service reps never returned my calls/voicemails.

• 1 year later...
On 12/19/2017 at 2:44 PM, Robert Sutton said:

Hey all, I will start from the beginning here. Purchased my new 2017 Sierra Elevation Edition in February 2017. Drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it. This is my first new vehicle so its been a little discerning to me that this has more issues than any used car I have owned before. 

A few weeks after owning the truck, my microphone stopped working for my phone calls and the onstar stopped working all together. My OnStar module died and they replaced it with a new one. About 5 thousand miles later, my trucks radio screen started randomly going black, turning off all sound, then coming back on again. It would resume where it last was, phone call still intact or radio still on the right station. This went on for about 2 weeks then my dash lit up and chimed at me, the radio turned off like it does I get a warning of a Power Steering Failure. I call my local shop and get it in there right away. The drive in, the power steering worked just fine. 

They said the reading came back as High Voltage, they updated the computer and sent me on my way. Fast Forward to 3 weeks later, my truck starts doing the radio off again but this time the dash lights all shut off too. I can't be sure but it seems to do it when its wet outside. It did not have problems after I was in the shop but it was also dry outside. I also noticed when this happens the voltmeter spikes high.

I am dropping my truck off again the Tuesday after Christmas. Does anyone have experience with this before? The shop told me last time they have never seen this before. 

Thanks!

Hello, i own a 2015 chevy silverado. had many many electric issues similar in nature. my entire truck would shut down, lose all electrical power for a few seconds and than randomly restart and turn on. happened randomly and often, even while driving. my steering would also malfunction and the electrical steering would feel like it was resisting me and jerk around. i read a bunch of forums about the grounding issue behind the dash. the recommended solutions didn't help me and electric problems continued to occur. but i took it to a local maintenance shop and told them my problem and said that this is a problem concerning the throttle body. I have no idea how or why  but i'm assuming they cleaned it out and i haven't had any electric problem sense then. i have no idea how these problems relate but my truck hasn't had a problem for months now after they treated the throttle body. hope this helps

• 2 months later...

I’m having similar electrical gremlins currently. Power steering issues, brakes locking, headlights going crazy and check engine codes. Dealer put alternator in. Picked it up, more codes. Dealer put battery in. 1 week later, more codes. Now it’s been in the shop for 6 days and they’ve replaced the headlight unit but that didn’t fix it. I’m going in today to escalate it. Have already had fuel pump and wheel bearings replaced too. Bought new 7/2017 and it’s got 9000 miles left on the warranty. I’ve had it with dealers not being able to fix it. 

• 3 months later...

I’ve had my 2017 Silverado 4X4 in shop 5 times, not including countless phone calls-even call GM directly, because my entire dash goes out, losing headlights, radio, hands free phone only to be told “we can’t duplicate the problem!” Once I was driving east on I 16 and had to pull off the road to call and they wanted me to come straight to their shop. It was 3 hours in the opposite direction at 5 pm! GM closed case because the dealership said they couldn’t duplicate it! Well, they had to know about the problem because the put a new battery in, then they changed the headlight switch, then they tried updating the memory, etc., etc. I have always been a Chevy girl, but at this rate, I’m rethinking Chevy!

13 hours ago, Becca said:

I’ve had my 2017 Silverado 4X4 in shop 5 times, not including countless phone calls-even call GM directly, because my entire dash goes out, losing headlights, radio, hands free phone only to be told “we can’t duplicate the problem!” Once I was driving east on I 16 and had to pull off the road to call and they wanted me to come straight to their shop. It was 3 hours in the opposite direction at 5 pm! GM closed case because the dealership said they couldn’t duplicate it! Well, they had to know about the problem because the put a new battery in, then they changed the headlight switch, then they tried updating the memory, etc., etc. I have always been a Chevy girl, but at this rate, I’m rethinking Chevy!

Welcome to the site.

Have you considered finding a new dealership to look at the truck?

You can take it to any Chevy lot you like.

Edited by JimCost2014

13 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site.

Have you considered finding a new dealership to look at the truck?

You can take it to any Chevy lot you like.

Yes, and they said same thing. If they cannot duplicate it, they cannot fix it.

9 minutes ago, Becca said:

Yes, and they said same thing. If they cannot duplicate it, they cannot fix it.

If they are saying (multiple dealers) no fix, and if it has been in the shop for over 30 days combined, I would open a new claim with GM demanding a buy back.

You can also check the Lemon Laws in your state too, but would start with the buy back process first, takes a while, but no money out of your pocket for legal fees.

Edited by JimCost2014

6 minutes ago, Becca said:

Thank you for that information. I was not aware about a buy back. I am not in the lemon law timeframe anymore (missed it by 2 months. 

You are very welcome.

Call GM, open a new claim, and see what happens. 

You did not mention your miles, but if this has been a documented problem with your truck (dealer records), I would give it a shot.