What do with my 07 suburban

I just purchased a used 2007 suburban with the active fuel management system. It had 106,000 on it when i got it early November. Now at 108000, i have added two quarts of oil. I was not aware of the issue. So should i purchase the device that overrides the system or has the damage been done? At this point, i think i can still trade out of the suburban. Trade it or get the plug?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's a lot of unknowns on our end.  Did you change the oil right after purchase and if so, what was the old oils condition and what did you put in?  When driving, is it your habit to regularly spin the motor past 3k rpms?  Have you checked for leaks from places such as the oil cooler lines?

There is a new driver's side valve cover that helps to eliminate oil consumption.  Does the AFM system work fine on your truck?

I want the reliability and longevity the Gen III engines are known for.  My first task was to turn off AFM through a custom tune by BlackBear who also gave me a mild tune which made the truck more efficient and more enjoyable to drive.  A Range Device will turn off AFM and is usually pretty reliable.  My next task is to physically remove the AFM components so that they cannot fail, ever.  Even turned off, a lifter can still collapse.  The camshaft also must be replaced and a mild "truck" cam will be used.

Keep the fluids clean and proper and the truck should give you long and reliable service.  If you haven't serviced the transmission or differential, get them done soon too.

I have only had it about six weeks. The dealer had it ready to go and with synthetic oil. I have checked under it and no leaks on the blacktop.
Now that i am pushing 50 years old, i usually do not push the rpm up on the vehicle. It had a clean car fax is why i purchased the vehicle (it also had provided me a regular maintenance the previous owner )
I do have a check engine light on and the dealer said it was for the fuel return system. I have noticed that when at idle in gear it wants to run a little rough but smoothes out in a short distance. Feels like it is loading up on fuel since the return system not working properly.
Other then that it sounds good on start up and running. The transmission shifts smoothly and yes the AFM works as well. I don't even notice it unless watching the dash.

Overall it is a nice suburban. I looked for months and got it about $3500 under book. Since they are so high in price now, i really was planning on keeping it a while and replacing motor/transmission if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Archived