Front end squeak

https://youtu.be/j-CHlsvMuoc

8e47748ea5aecaa4af22cea3466f6f68.jpg

04654acfd44487e7a8bf7787740cf07b.jpg

Front end is squeaking. Not sure what it is. Is there something wrong with the coil over/ strut? Thanks!

2014 Silverado 1500. 75k miles. 2.5 inch motofab level installed about 6k miles ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 out of 10 it’s your ball joints. Mine are starting to squeak and I found a grease point for upper ball joints and tie rod on both sides. Give it a shot and see what happens. It’ll cost around $500 for new upper/lower ball joints from moog

I have a ‘14 1500 z71

11 minutes ago, Clint623 said:

9 out of 10 it’s your ball joints. Mine are starting to squeak and I found a grease point for upper ball joints and tie rod on both sides. Give it a shot and see what happens. It’ll cost around $500 for new upper/lower ball joints from moog

I have a ‘14 1500 z71

I agree, sounds like its on its way out.  Add some grease and it might take the squeak away for now.  

Oh. Also don’t be afraid of changing the ball joints. If you have any mechanical ability then it is pretty straight forward. If you do them your self get the upper control arm with ball joint in place and then press out the lowers with a tool you can rent from a place like auto zone.

It costs $500 for parts and to get it done they want to charge me $1700-2200... absolutely ridiculous.

My 14 sierra squeaked on bumps (speed bumps) from day 1. I bought my 17 Silverado and it didn't squeak until 3 months later. Don't know what it is, but it isn't balljoints in my case. Also curious...

I am pretty sure that I do have a bad ball joint that needs replacing, but I was not thinking the squeak was coming from that. I plan on replacing all ball joints in the next couple weeks so we will see if that clears up the squeak. Thanks!

OP is there a specific time you hear the squeaking? For instance, slowing down to a complete stop, accelerating from a stop, turning, etc. 

I think there may be two different issues. I hear a bit of a grind/pop at times when turning which I have to assume is the lower ball joint that I think is going.

The other is the squeak you can hear in the video which I mostly hear when going when going over bumps or when there would be any suspension up and down movement (going straight or turning)

Oh i didnt notice the link to the video. I had a squeaking problem earlier this year, but mine was bad shocks. And not nearly that loud. There are a few other threads on here with similar problems. Have you tried searching those to see if anyone has had the same issue? 

Oh. Also don’t be afraid of changing the ball joints. If you have any mechanical ability then it is pretty straight forward. If you do them your self get the upper control arm with ball joint in place and then press out the lowers with a tool you can rent from a place like auto zone.

It costs $500 for parts and to get it done they want to charge me $1700-2200... absolutely ridiculous.

I can’t seem to find the aluminum upper ca’s. Can I replace them with the steel ones and keep the aluminum lowers?

I can’t seem to find the aluminum upper ca’s. Can I replace them with the steel ones and keep the aluminum lowers?

I wouldn’t do it personally, I’m pretty sure it is based off of the steering knuckle on whether it is aluminum or steel. You can talk to someone on moog.com in the chat option and they will tell you exactly what you need.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 7:51 AM, Clint623 said:

Why do you suggest getting a new upper control arm?  Why not just the upper ball joint?