2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 Runs Horrible

Tested the wire from the truck today and it was ok. Tested out the coil pack and it was ok which was very weird in our heads. Decided to replace coil pack and that was the problem all along. No intake gasket. I was surrised because I though when I replaced all 8 coil packs they would all be working but nope, 1 was bad. I learned my lesson to not buy electronics off eBay. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out and who has gotten me closer and closer to getting the problem fixed. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy hell. That was a lot of money thrown into diagnosing a shitty eBay part. Good read though, you threw money into everything I would have trying to find the issue, other than I would have replaced the spark plugs much earlier since they're a fairly cheap route for troubleshooting. .066 is way wider than I'd go with my plugs.

One question though: you tested the coil pack, and it passed your test, but then replacing it solved the problem? How did that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Ok,  so I'm back again with a similar problem as before. To refresh everyone the problem I was having is the truck had a P0300 irratic misfire. I diagnosed it to be a back coil pack in a brand new box of 8 I bought. When I replaced the faulty "new" coil pack it ran great, no misfire and did not die at idle.

So starting 2 days ago the truck is not wanting to idle unless I hold the gas and brake to keep it running. It wants to run but it will seem like it dies then catches back up with a lot of shaking. The only thing different this time compared to last time is that it is NOT misfiring. I have no idea why all of a sudden this started happening but every time I'm waiting at a stop light I need to hold it at 800-1000 rpm. Yesterday I was taking a turn and usually when I take turns it will stay running but this time it dies in the middle of the turn causing me to loose power steering and brakes nearly hitting someone. I need this problem fixed but have no idea where to start. Has new 02 sensors, 8 coil packs, maf, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have not checked yet for new codes since it has just recently happened but I shouldve before I posted anything. I do know that when the problem was fixed the beginning of January, the same codes still existed after running it for 2 weeks running fine. I tried disconnecting battery but I can not get rid of the codes that were there when the problem occoured. I have yet to find someone with a scanner that can clear them for me. But, I will check for new codes eventually and report back. Thanks!

I would look at your fuel pressure to see if the fuel pump is good. And even though you checked the intake manifold gaskets, I would be skeptical about them holding still at that mileage. Also, the cam or crank position sensor might be contributing to the issue. I wouldn't recommend buying cheap parts off eBay, even the good OEM sensors and such can be sort of hit or miss

I know it's frustrating, I've thrown my share of parts at my 6.0 trying to solve issues that ended up being a bad crank sensor and bad o2 sensor. I would stop throwing parts at it. Find someone with a nice scanner, cold start the truck for them and watch real time data as the truck warms up. That's how you're gonna solve this with minimum expense

Just thought i throw this out there but is there a chance the ecm is bad? I read something saying to hit it hard and see it the vehicle runs better. I may try it but have no idea where it is located? Thanks again!

The ECM failing is pretty rare, and it's not particularly cheap to replace.

As for your tip, if someone told you to try hitting your laptop hard, and see if it runs better, would you do it?  The ECM is a computer, just like your laptop.

Or u can buy the egr delete like I did & do away with it.

I had one do the same thing before one day. Was coming home from work & I had bout 10-12 redlights to go thru & I had to hold one foot on the brake & one foot on the gas to keep from stalling out. I knew what it was bc it had did it before so when I got home I cleaned it real good, probably a 20 min job, put it back on & it idled just fine. Ordered the egr delete kit, cleared the code & never had anymore problems outta that.

Archived