2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 Runs Horrible

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so monday it is suppost to be 63 degrees near me and figured it will be a good time to do the gaskets. I wont have time to buy online but my local napa has felpro gaskets. One set is $44 which is standard and the other is $87 which has what they call PermaDryPlus. Anyone have experiences with either of these? Is the $44 going to last. Or is there another brand i should buy? I am going to get the standard fel pro throttle body gasket which is probaly not as important as the intake gasket. Any help is appreciated. 

I used fel-pro on my 6.0 when I did mine 6 months ago. So far no issues. I've used fel-pro for lots of gaskets, including my rear diff. I did that 2 years ago with no silicone, just the gasket and it hasn't leaked a drop. Used that on other trucks too without any issues. Also, I didn't replace my throttle body gasket. I guess it's a good idea to do so since it will eliminate one more possibility, but just throwing that out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Working on getting the money for the part. Doesnt really matter since it will not be 60 plus anytime soon. The rest of the week is suppost to be in the 40s. I will let you know what happens thats for sure. Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so im on spring break right now and im getting tired of waiting for it to be 60 plus and really want to get this done. Thursday i can do them but it will only be 55degrees. Can i just put a torch on the head to heat it up or should i just throw the gaskets on at that temp? Dont want to have a bad gasket seal because it was too cold out when i replaced them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, i got the gaskets on yesterday and drove the truck on the street and it seemed like it was fixed, the engine light turned off and no irratic misfire. In the process or replacing the gaskets, i took the manifold off and when i tipped it on its side about a cup of fresh oil came out. Im not sure if it came from the pcv or just because the gaskets were leaking so bad. I cleaned both surfaces well and the hardest part of the job was taking out and installing ths manifold /popping in the injectors. It was very easy to pop in the left side injectors but the right side just did not want to go in be eventually they went in. I will post before and after pics at the bottom. Im sure you can spot where the gasket was failing. Also, a big thanks everyone in the process of getting this thing fixed.

20180328_123143.jpg

i hope the problem is gone for good, glad you got it sorted out! i know it can be insanely aggravating, but you were patient and stuck with it. and now you know how to diagnose things instead of just throwing parts on left and right haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, yes it was very aggervating and in a way if was worth it because like you said, i know how to diagnose things better. Now just gotta put a leveling kit on her soon. I put up a thread for that also because i cant seem to find out what height i need. Thanks a ton tho!!

Archived