86' GMC Sub Burbon not good, but not bad

Hey guys,

I been here before The Ford Bronco guy with a GMC itch, I have been looking for a tow vehicle for some of my various hobbies that require a trailer and a spot to sleep. The bourbon came up on good ole' Craigslist and to my many friends surprise was actually capable of sustaining highway speeds for more than 50 miles without needing major Frame, Driveline or Electrical repair. It's just a 2wd, 3/4ton 350, TH400, Sierra Classic with AC and crank windows. I think it could quite possibly be the perfect truck/suv and best of all no engine lights. I'm getting ready to add some small convenience things and tires it really needs tires .and make certain all the mechanicals are sound for dragging the Boat and the Bronco to and fro. You should see the floor pans they are spotless the only rust it has that is thru is a small spot on the drivers side rocker and the lower rear quarter behind the tire. I think I seriously scored well on this thing.   

boubon1.jpg

bourbon2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

PO changed it over to r134 so that has already been done the wiring and such appears to be pretty well unmolested. I need to add a brake controller for my car hauler. I am thinking about a lowering kit for it I wonder if someone makes dropped spindles to fit it.

On 12/30/2017 at 11:21 PM, Bandit_T/A said:

PO changed it over to r134 so that has already been done the wiring and such appears to be pretty well unmolested. I need to add a brake controller for my car hauler. I am thinking about a lowering kit for it I wonder if someone makes dropped spindles to fit it.

They definitely did.  These suburbans are pretty popular. 

• 1 month later...

Okay back to work on the old Burb. I have the rear camera installed and working. Now it's time for a headliner I ordered 5 yards of burgundy headliner material and 4 cans of headliner adhesive of of ebay. For being such a large headliner this was not a hard job to take apart. Only ended up needing 2-13oz cans of adhesive. 

20180227_094930.jpg

20180227_100454_HDR.jpg

If you can fix the rust and any other minor issues and keep it maintained, it might turn a pretty penny come the time you are ready to sell it.  The values for these things are starting to go up believe it or not. 

Yeah maybe. I plan on giving it a respary here after the temps warm up a little. I purchased it for doing some over night camping and such with Boat or the Bronco and of course my trips to Baja. One of them I just want to lay back camp and enjoy the race and not be responsible for any part of a team effort. 

Archived