My friend moved my truck (97 Silverado 5.7) while we went kayaking. She apparently forgot to put it in park.(her car is a straight drive)
it started rolling down the hill and went into the river. It was completely submerged for 2 days.
I was told if I let it dry out for around 2 weeks, change plugs, wires, oil, gas that it will probably crank.
Is this true or is this guy trying to make me feel better?!
80-received_10213310719256168_b2ded4ca24

This is all you could see of My truck.:-(

Prior to cranking, besides what Mercracing wrong, you also need to get all water out of the intake and cylinders, you might need a new battery.  Do all the fluids, engine oil, transmission, transfer case, front & rear diffs, brake fluid.

You may get the truck running, but I would expect it to have a variety of odd electrical problems that will take a lot of time and effort to track down...  google flooded vehicles

Cut your losses and replace it now. River water stinks you’ll never get the smell out completely especially in the summertime heat. You’ll also be fighting electrical gremlins till the day you give up  on it ecm, bcm, hvac, ignition & fuel systems. I see your in SC if there’s any salt in that river it will corrode the copper wiring inside the looms. Since it was submerged for so long anything with grease in it will eventually fail on it also ie window motors, front wheel bearings, u-joints, etc. 

Making a flood car run is the easy part, keeping everything working is the hard part...

Of course, selling it, you either have to lie and you may get decent money for the truck, or if you are honest, it's worth very little.

When area's get flooded, it's not uncommon for dealers to effectively junk them, and then used car dealers (or even other dealers) will buy them really cheap and sell them far away and just accidentally forget to mention they are flood vehicles...

If I were home I would have had it out that night. I'm visiting My friends and they are in the country.... Way out In the country lol 

I got a couple estimates and the cheapest was $2000..... The truck runs okay but it's a 97! My thing is it was my late husbands truck so I don't want to part with it I guess.... Guess I'll be asking Martha Stewart how to make outdoor furniture out of truck parts lol

I hear ya on the sentimental thing I’ve got half a building full of trucks that I can’t seem to let go for one reason or another even though I know I won’t ever do anything with them. 

As far as the Martha thing type “tailgate bench” into google images, scroll down and take a look one of those would be a nice start to memorialize the truck.

Not the same truck but I sank a 1991 s10 over the roof. I drained every fluid and flushed. Redrain again til they were clear. Ended up  taking plugs out and tapped key to shoot water out of the cylinders. Then ended up taking heads off to clean up the walls and then reinstalled. Ended up changing the pcm in the ecm and then drove 2 years until selling. No problems during those 2 years.

Archived