Tank Company Filled BP Gas Station with Diesel!!!!

So I filled my truck up last with my usual mid-grade 89 octane gas and I found out the next day the moron tank delivery guy fill the premium tank with diesel fuel!!! Yeah beyond pissed at that moment after I found out the hard way.

So truck went into the shop, the flushed the lines, tank, and injectors. They also changed the plugs and now the damn thing is running worse than ever!!!

thing chugs, zero power under load and it just a POS right now. Planning on calling the dealer first thing in the morning. The tank line company is fully responsible but what should I be demanding my dealership do? Truck has 25k miles on it and I’m looking for options.....

oh and now the check engine light is on and every once in a while my traction light comes on....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.. WTF!

That sucks. Who did the initial cleanup/fix?

Was that the dealer?

I guess you’ll have to hear what they say. Next course of action they’ll take. I’m sure they’ll do everything they can to remedy the issue since it’s not under the warranty dime and the fuel transport company is paying for it. I’m thinking maybe a few or several flushes and plug changes may be needed to get all the diesel out.

Let us know what they do and how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah took it right to the dealer after I found out they mixed up the damn tanks. 

My thoughts exactly, change everything out! Cause now I have to have it towed back again and F around and get a damn rental again! 

The general manage of the dealership will be getting a phone call when they open.

Not really uncommon. Happened near me but I just got just a little but some cars did not make it off the lot. These guys need to get a solution to this. Opposite threads, color coded or size difference or just being able to speak or read ENGLISH.

Typically, because your new truck warranty in now void, they buy out your vehicle if you demand it.

This may be the best course of action.

The buyout offer will be low I’d imagine as I’m sure the claim will be through the fuel haulers greedy insurance company.

Legal counsel may be in order for this one.

Holly sh^t!,,, I would have went ballistic if that happened to my new truck,,,, 

you better get the ball rolling on some legal action,. Or just mention to them that you have consulted an attorney , and plan to contest any action they offer that does not completely satisfy to bringing your vehicle back to perfect operating condition. 

I hope you get some results from these jerks,,,, I had a aviation fuel jockey put AvGas in a turbine engine aircraft .... It was a turbo prop,.  And he  assumed it ran on AvGas since it had propellers ....    Big costly mistake.... Could have killed the pilot & crew!  Luckily we noticed the poor performance on take off roll, and aborted the  take off!!!

Should you call your insurance and tell them what’s going on? If nothing else they could act as a go between with the tank companies insurance. I mean if you think about it, it technically is an “accident”.

Should you call your insurance and tell them what’s going on? If nothing else they could act as a go between with the tank companies insurance. I mean if you think about it, it technically is an “accident”.

I wouldn’t involve MY insurance company just yet.
Hopefully this can get resolved. I can’t imagine any permanent effects from the diesel fuel once it’s correctly purged from the system, but I’m no mechanic.
Then again, if it is resolved but voids what remains of the warranty, that’s a different story.
That’s a question for the stealership.

I’d carry diesel tanks in my trucks for the 30 plus years I worked on pipelines. There’s been times over the years I’ve been way out in the field and ran low on my gas trucks and added diesel with no effect, just a little pinging. I guess trucks just like people have gotten more sensitive these days.

When it happened to me I topped the tank off and added Lucas treatment and the truck straightened out. Called the station where the mix up occurred and they where willing to pay to fix any damages. Said it wasn't a bid deal for them(lu__'-'s) since they replaced 59 semi engines last year when someone put gas in the diesel tanks!

3 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

I wouldn’t involve MY insurance company just yet.
Hopefully this can get resolved. I can’t imagine any permanent effects from the diesel fuel once it’s correctly purged from the system, but I’m no mechanic.
Then again, if it is resolved but voids what remains of the warranty, that’s a different story.
That’s a question for the stealership.

I used to think like this, sadly I have zero faith in anyone doing the right thing.  When in doubt, at least notify the insurance company.  A lot of times they will handle all of the leg work and it won't result in a claim on your policy.  Its what you pay these people for!!! 

I used to think like this, sadly I have zero faith in anyone doing the right thing.  When in doubt, at least notify the insurance company.  A lot of times they will handle all of the leg work and it won't result in a claim on your policy.  Its what you pay these people for!!! 

Absolutely! I am the same way. As the old adage goes, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

As a side note, one day I calculated how much I have paid to my car insurance company over my driving career - it’s to the tune of about $40,000+ minimum, WITH ZERO CLAIMS EVER. Makes me sick - but that’s how insurance works. The least they could do is help you in a situation like this! Hell my deductible should be $0.

MY insurance agent is useless. And the truck is back at the dealership. Told them I want it 100% back to normal or I will not accept it. I also told the tank line company today that under no circumstance will I accept my truck back with issues or worries. And if need be I will seek legal counsel. 

Archived