HELP Tri-Mode Running Board Removal

This afternoon I began pulling off my Tri-Mode Running Boards and I discovered that they needed to be in the “down” position to reach all the mounting bolts... well I got the drivers side off while down but for one reason or another when I was either opening doors or clicking the “slide back” button on the running board, I got them out of sync and once I removed the drivers side completely I realized the passenger side was still in the “up” position.. I wouldn’t have anticipated this to be an issue, however now that the other one is off the passenger side is not functioning.. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the passenger side board down apart from completely re-installing the drivers side to do so?? Hoping to get this handled ASAP as being un-symmetrical is already driving me nuts and its only been 2hrs!

Yikes! The driver side running board has the modules that interface with the passenger side.

If you are able to plug in the driver side modules (I think you can remove the modules from the board), and plug them in.. so that the passenger side has a feed.

Then use the kick switch to swing them back... hoping that’ll work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: I was able to remove the module (just 2 small screws) from the Driver's Side running board and plugged it in. This allowed me full functionality of the passenger side running board.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 4:16 AM, Xenawise said:

Why are you taking the Tri-Mode running boards off? Putting on AMPs? If so I might be interested in picking up another set.

Xenawise

The Tri-Mode Boards found a new home about 2 weeks ago, but yes that is the plan ultimately. For now I'm going to use the cash to do a few other things I want to get handled on the truck and hopefully come across some used AMPs within the next 3-6 months!

18 hours ago, youn1033 said:

The Tri-Mode Boards found a new home about 2 weeks ago, but yes that is the plan ultimately. For now I'm going to use the cash to do a few other things I want to get handled on the truck and hopefully come across some used AMPs within the next 3-6 months!

Hello fellow Houstonian. Do you mind me asking how much you got for yours? I love them on my truck but they do stick out to far when getting out of the truck and it is kind of annoying at times. Especially if it is raining. 

Hello fellow Houstonian. Do you mind me asking how much you got for yours? I love them on my truck but they do stick out to far when getting out of the truck and it is kind of annoying at times. Especially if it is raining. 

Is be interested in buying yours if you decide to sell.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend that you open the door on the side you are going to remove so the steps come out. Then you can unplug the harness to the motor on that step and begin removing the bolts that hold it to the frame. These are pretty heavy so you will need to support the step as you remove it. It is much heavier on the front end of the steps where the motor assembly is. It is pretty easy to get all the bolts out. You will probably ship the boards if you sell them in the extended state as this will help prevent any damage to them. That is how they are shipped out from a GM dealer as well. The harness you detach from will stay with your truck. It is part of the main chassis harness and you cannot remove it (without a lot of difficulty). I think there were like a dozen bolts that hold the boards to the bottom of the cab. Some are higher up and go through the motor mountings and some are on the lower lip of the running board frame. Just make sure you support the boards so you don't damage them once they come loose from the cab. I think they weigh in around 60-70lbs per board. 

I suppose you are replacing these perhaps with some AMP boards? Are you looking to sell these take off boards? I might be interested if the price is right. 

Good luck with the removal and enjoy your new 2017 Denali!

Regards,

Xenawise

Here is a parts book blow-up of the system. Does not show all of the mounting points but #19 and #26 are the main bolts. #4 is the frame that all these bolts will go through. 

image.thumb.png.16cbf9aa7b2c50f7fc4c837558a7b8b9.png

Edited by Xenawise
Adding picture

I just removed my tri mode steps the other day and replaced them with the AMP steps. I was wondering if anyone knew of any dummy plug/connector caps available so that it’s not just an open connection hanging out in the breeze. If not, what would be suggested to preserve those connectors? Btw, it’s 10 bolts per side. 5 underneath and 5 up in the side. I personally had both running boards out to get the bottom bolts all out, then folded them in, disconnected them, and took out the upper bolts. 

Don't know of any dummy plugs to go into the harness. Guess you could just get some harness tape or electrical tape and tape them shut. Maybe pull the fuse for the running boards unless you are using the same circuit for the AMP boards. Be careful if you ship them out to someone in the closed state. During shipping, the running boards may push into the stops and bend the boards at that area. That's what happened to mine. Not a big deal, but it could of been avoided if the boards were extended a bit outward. What are folks doing with these running boards once they get them off? Anyone looking to sell?

Xenawise

I am looking to sell mine but not sure what they are worth. Truck is brand new and these have been used maybe a dozen times before I turned them off. 

On ebay, they list for about $1500 but they sit at that price. I bought my set for $800 Shipped by carrier. I saw a set on FB sell for $500 and another for $600.

I think $750 is good price.