Securing a flatscreen tv upright

Hey guys, thought it would be worth asking y’all for any advice before I head to pick up a new tv tomorrow...

I don’t have box dimensions, but the tv will either be 82” or 75” so will be a massive box. I want to keep it as upright as possible in the bed, but don’t know if ratchet straps alone will do the job. I really don’t want it shifting or falling over, as we have 290 miles to go, much of which will be on the interstate. Should straps cinched over the top be adequate? Is it worth taking lengths of 2x4s and a screw gun to knock together some trusses in the Best Buy probably my lot?

Just figured someone has surely done it before.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Given that you have a ways to travel with it, you're taking a smart approach by wanting to keep it in an upright position.

Be careful with ratchet straps and don't overtighten them. Whether you go over the top or "around" the end at the tailgate, too much tension on the straps will result in excessive pressure being transferred to the TV inside the box. Using some pieces of wood between the straps and the box should help to distribute the tension a little better as would using two straps (1/3 of the way in from each end) instead of just one.

A "U" shaped assembly of wood on each side in the floor of the bed will ensure that the TV won't kick from side to side and would also mean you wouldn't need to clamp as tightly over the top.

Thanks guys. In the end, I opted to slide it in at an angle as I didn’t want to drive all that way with my tailgate down and risk rashing the gate... Kept it no more than 70 the whole way home which sucked on the interstate, but it worked out great! Glad I didn’t get anything bigger lol!
b4f42a9bde1c2d6a91c7a557deb3e5bb.jpg

I kept an eye on the box and the card wasn’t really vibrating from buffeting wind. I had the back facing forward just in case. I live in SW Kansas and the closest store that had the two models I was interested in was West Denver. We do a lot of miles in a year, and a lot of mail order lol! My wife has put 78,000 on her Yukon since she got it December ‘15 [emoji51]

Archived