Auto Headlight Sensitivity

I did a search on the half ton portion of this 2014 and newer section and didn't find a lot so I thought I would ask.  Has anyone else considered that the auto headlights on these trucks are a bit ridiculous?   I ask because I am considering taking mine in because it's annoying.  For one the headlights have a hard time shutting off even with direct sunlight on the sensor and secondly even a cloud, a row of trees or whatever on a sunny day turn my headlights back on.  

I do live in northern Alberta so the sun is hanging low and to the south but not one other vehicle I have owned including my 2014 Impala and 2015 Silverado were like this 2017 Sierra.  Even driving on my usual roadways and headed in a southern direction it can be the middle of the day and it's just on, off, on, off and so on.  I can turn the lights on of course but that's pretty dumb in my opinion that I should have too.  I have been kicking around the idea of reprogramming my BCM so I can make it like a US truck and kill the headlights if I can't solve this.  

Is anyone else's truck like this?  I am kind of hoping not and maybe it's just an overly sensitive improper functioning photoeye.

And an FYI no I don't have anything blocking the windows in the cab or aftermarket tint on the truck.  I could see that and deal with that but that's not what this is.

Turn them to the ON position each time you are driving is really the only suggestion I have unless the BCM can be US'd.  Or you can come to the US, buy a US truck and take it back LOL but that would be highly crazy.   

Well I am kind of thinking there is something wrong with the truck.  I had a 2015 Silverado..... and even as much of a heap that POS was it's auto headlights were not like this and it did have tint on it.  I just thought I read somewhere the HID equipped ones from like 16 and 17 seem a bit more confused.

I could call and talk the usual service guy I do at the dealer but that's not happening until sometime later next week.

Just now, SierraHD17 said:

Well I am kind of thinking there is something wrong with the truck.  I had a 2015 Silverado..... and even as much of a heap that POS was it's auto headlights were not like this and it did have tint on it.  I just thought I read somewhere the HID equipped ones from like 16 and 17 seem a bit more confused.

That may be possible.  The dealer I work at imports low mile 1-2 year old GMCs from Quebec.  I might have to take one for a spin and see how much the lights toggle in AUTO and report back.  I have seen other makes, Ford primarily on the F-150 that do very frequent AUTO mode light changes, but usually GM ones are some of the best out there.   

Sounds like yours is over sensitive for some reason.

Their is likely diagnostic tests for sensor in the service manuals. 

I'm one of those that thinks daytime running lights are a good thing, and also don't have an issue with the auto-on when it gets dark.  There are times when I've had them switch that I didn't think they needed to, but not as often as you are describing.

My beef is that the brightness change of the dash and radio display is not wide enough. 

I find that when its dark I can see outside the vehicle better when the dash is set dimly -- but then in daylight mode the next day, it's not bright enough. 

And I'd really like to be able to turn the radio display down further that the gauges and dic.

Well that's the other pain the ass with this stupidity too as while it has it's freak outs it makes me always playing with my dash.  I like my screen and gauges as dim as they can go more or less at night and of course with this it flip flops between being able to see the screen and dic to not.... until of course I set the light on setting to max and then wait until its dark again to reset it.   

This has nothing to do with not wanting drl's or even for not having auto headlights.  I just want auto headlights that aren't retarded and instantly turn on the second I go past a patch of bush in the middle of an afternoon.

Archived