04 Suburban Rear HVAC/Audio No power

2004 suburban.  My kids was watching a movie the other day and the lower HVAC/Audio controls portion turned off.  Its like it lost all power.  The dvd player is still working fine, just have to listen to it through the vehicle speakers.  Rear HVAC works through the front controls.  The cigarette lighter underneath the control panel in the back has power to it.  

Im having problems finding good wiring information on this portion.  I cant tell if there is a seperate fuse (dont think so) or what for the back control unit.  I would think that a fuse would cause the entire entertainment or hvac to stop working.  

Anyone had any issues like this?  Only thing I can think of doing is pulling the console apart and start checking wires.  But I figure I'll ask here first.  Any insights are welcome.  Thanks

Best to check the Fuse first then go to the wiring and check power and ground. I really need the last 8 digits of your vin to make sure I am giving you the correct schematic because they have 3 different setups. UQ3/5 or UQ7 with Y91 or UQ7 Without Y91. But here is a Lux Package schematic.. May be close. But give me the VIN and we can be sure and I can help you better.

Capture.thumb.JPG.66677b10eed09d56a3d09cbe16747014.JPG

Ok so here is what you need to do. Check the fuse. If the fuse is good remove the rear seat audio control and test across circuits 7(black - Ground) and 9(Orange - Power) With a test light. If it lights up replace the controller.

Here is the controller you need - http://amzn.to/2DxhQCP

Let me know if you need anything else.

Fuse under the hood labeled RR/WPR 25 amp was blown!  Never would have thought that was it.  I ended up checking every fuse with ampmeter since your schematic said fuse was under the hood!

Thanks!  Now I wont have to listen to disney movies every trip!

Well.............

went out this morning to a dead battery.  

long story short, you know how normally when you shut the engine off, the radio plays until you open the door?  Well it stays on.  Shift indicator stays lit, radio on, and feels like the abs still on when you mash the brake pedal.  Pull that 25 amp fuse back on and everything works like it should, everything shuts off when you open the door.  Put it back in, it all stays on.  It aint like it is in IGN ON position, but like an accessory position.

So right now I have fuse pulled to make sure the battery doesnt drain tonight.  Aggregating  I sure appreciate the help though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like previous owner must have done something to this thing that is now starting to show up.

Determined that the RR/WPR fuse is definitely part of the problem circuit.  Odd thing is that it is listed as  "Window Wiper Module Rear", yet with that fuse pulled, the rear wiper still works!

Yesterday I started the suburban (Fuse pulled), turned the radio up, rolled the window down, then shut it off.  Radio continues to play until I open the door.  Door opens and radio/accessories die just like its supposed to.  I stick the fuse in and the radio/accessories come back on.  Open the door, they stay on.  Pull Fuse, open door, they shut off.

This one may be fun. 

Yes it is a factory dvd unit.

Everything worked just fine for almost 3 years of me owning it.  Then one day, poof, the rear HVAC/Audio control stopped working.  I find the blown fuse, rear audio/HVAC control works again, but this issue begins.. 

Havent had a lot of time to do much diagnosing on it yet. 

No aftermarket accessories that I know of.  Well, it does have a basic bulldog remote start unit installed. Which is one thing I thought about disconnecting to see if it made any difference.  Just haven't got around to doing it.  We haven't used the remote start in probably over a year. 

Could be the rear audio control is pulling such high amperage and thats what caused the fuse to blow. Worth a shot. Disconnect it and see how the battery does. If it dies over night may just be a bad control.

But would a bad audio control cause everything to remain energized when key is turned off and doors opened?

Right now you can have the car off, put that rr/wpr fuse in and the main radio will turn on.   With that fuse out, everything works like it should, radio and shift indicator lights go off as they should when you open the door.   

Archived