Cracked windshield??

So it finally became winter here the other day. Go out for a short drive in town and come back home to see a 3" crack at the lower base of my windshield?  WTF??  go look at it and doesnt even seem like anything hit it. Truck has barely seen the highway. If i run my finger across the crack i can feel a small indent flake maybe?  Then second drive of the day. Bam spreads to almost the entire length of the window all the way across.  Ive never had a windshield break or spread like this on anything ive owned. Especially without at least a noticeable rock impact or chip and even at that it normally takes a good while to crack.  WTH?  Cheap windows now?

Anyone had same experience?  And will They warranty it?  Seems like the windshield integrity is very poor?? Gm should do something??  Only 10000km on the truck. 

Thanks for any help

Likely no warranty, but probably insurance.  (But it never hurts to ask.)

Despite lots of gravel road miles, I haven't lost a windshield in a quite long time, but it seems to me that the hit that results in a crack doesn't always leave a chip in the windshield, and if it does chip it sometimes stays 'as is' for a very long time before it growing across the windshield.

Spent lots of years on gravel roads and a still surprised that some of the loudest stone hits on the glass don't always result in damage, and yet sometimes what sounds like a minor hit results in a chip. 

Long winded way to answer your question, but no, I don't think windshield integrity is an issue.

(and there are federal regulations regarding windshields )

• Like 1

Had same thing happen with about 10k miles. Warranty wouldn't cover. New windshield was just under $300 and insurance deductible on glass was $250 so wasn't worth a claim. Drove for over a year with the crack before getting it replaced. FWIW dealer indicated Safelite and GM glass are the same, come in on the same truck from same supplier. You just pay more for the GM logo.

OP, if your truck was parked outside in really cold weather it's possible if you had a pit in the windshield and you hit the defroster that's all it took to start the crack, more common than you would think. The reason that manufacturers don't warranty glass is that road hazards are beyond their control and people do really, really stupid things, like toss near boiling water on a frosted windshield because, well they're just lazy.

• Confused 1

Thanks guys appreciate the help. I wouldnt be to upset if it was a crack or chip that i had seen or could see. Basically looks like a small flake the size of a ball point pen.  Pretty dam week window as far as im concerned? Talked with Gm Canada and the at least have it on file. have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, More than likely they will say its my problem. But best to what they will do first. Thanks. 

I have put close to 1.5 million km on in the last 25 years. Been through many trucks, windshields. It is luck. Had some rocks leave baseball sized smash marks in the windshield, never cracked. Had some small rocks that barely left a mark split across the windsheld in one day. Usually when defrosting a cold windshield is when they crack the most. Even had one that had "waves" in the glass from manufacturing once. It is pretty much luck and the new ones don't seem to take as much to crack as they did 20 years ago. I don't think they will warranty it and personally i wouldn't expect them to. Just my opinion of course. 

I think I've had to replace @ least 1 w/s on each of my trucks. If it's about a year out from replacing the truck I'll wait until I get the 'vehicle safety' down.

Last Feb' on Groundhog Day, come back out to the truck & noticed a 3 or 4 inch crack on the driver side (low). Never heard a thing. Over the year it spread it about half way across the driver's side. Well the 1st cold weather we had in Dec' it spread to within 6" of the passenger side A pillar. Now it's all the way across. I'll end up getting it replaced in the spring. 

Maddening when the truck is less than 2 months old.

Edited by revrnd

I usually get a year out of my work trucks and it's spider webbed.  Never have got one off the gravel in the last 10 years or more though... always pavement.  Winter here brings boulders to the asphalt.. And of course millions of semis tossing stones like mad.  Unless it's a pressure crack from install its on your dime.  

• 2 years later...

425 miles, no chip, no cold, sitting in the driveway and the crack started and went across. $650 to replace due to the lane departure BS, Safelite wanted more. CA Ins co's have dropped the coverage. Paper plates and spending $. Living the dream.

Just now, Don P said:

425 miles, no chip, no cold, sitting in the driveway and the crack started and went across. $650 to replace due to the lane departure BS, Safelite wanted more. CA Ins co's have dropped the coverage. Paper plates and spending $. Living the dream.

Yep no going to have to do my second windshield in almost as many years. Absolutely no chips or cracks and it spit from the passenger side seal just as the weather started getting cold. These are shit windshields compared to every other vehicle i have owned.