aluminum control arms?

i’m new here and did a quick search before asking but did not yield any answers that i have about them. ps i most definitely could be using search wrong..

anyways i’m new to these pickups as well as i recently just picked up a 2015 sierra 1500 z71.  my question is regarding the control arms and what the real difference is between the aluminum ones vs steel.  all that i could some up with was that the diameter of the ball joints are different?  is that the only real difference of the two?  i also came across a “z60” package but unsure if that even applies to these pickups. any input to set me straight on this matter is greatly appreciated as i’m also considering doing a 2.5 RC leveling kit along with 275/65/20 tires. is there any reason that would not work with the aluminum CA’s?  anyone that has gone down this route please chime in. 

thanks in advance,

brad

—i didn’t come across a suspension board so please move to the correct board if there is. apologize if that’s the case

Z60 is the performance pkg that was on the Sierra Denali and Silverado LTZ before Z96 MagnaRide Magnetic Ride Control replaced it in 2015.   The Z60 option comes with 20-inch wheels/tires

8871-gmc-high-performance-suspension-pac

53 minutes ago, elcamino said:

Z60 is the performance pkg that was on the Sierra Denali and Silverado LTZ before Z96 MagnaRide Magnetic Ride Control replaced it in 2015.   The Z60 option comes with 20-inch wheels/tires

8871-gmc-high-performance-suspension-pac

so by only having an SLT which i have there is no chance of it having the z60 pkg?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is ready-lift's blog post about the control arms.  Had me concerned, but  when I asked my local dealer they said that they install RC 2" levels all the time and have had no problems.  I called rough country, and tried to converse with them about it but surprisingly whoever answered the phoned wasn't informed about this and simply said their kits are good to go with the 17's. 

A highly regarded truck accessory place in town, they told me that my truck would have to be checked for ball joint retaining clips before installing a level.  I reached under and took a bunch of pictures with my phone, but keep forgetting to go by and show them the pictures.  

https://www.readylift.com/blog/2017/07/11/upper-control-arms/

Haven't committed yet on the level for my '17, normally its the first thing I do...

14 hours ago, Largely Unknown said:

Here is ready-lift's blog post about the control arms.  Had me concerned, but  when I asked my local dealer they said that they install RC 2" levels all the time and have had no problems.  I called rough country, and tried to converse with them about it but surprisingly whoever answered the phoned wasn't informed about this and simply said their kits are good to go with the 17's. 

A highly regarded truck accessory place in town, they told me that my truck would have to be checked for ball joint retaining clips before installing a level.  I reached under and took a bunch of pictures with my phone, but keep forgetting to go by and show them the pictures.  

https://www.readylift.com/blog/2017/07/11/upper-control-arms/

Haven't committed yet on the level for my '17, normally its the first thing I do...

Ball joint retaining clips would be on the underside of the control arm on the ball joint. Prevents it front coming out from the top.

I'm attaching a photo of the upper ball joint, from below (reached under with my phone).  Is there any way to tell by looking at this photo if I have this retaining clip? This would give me more confidence going forward with the RC 2" level at my dealer. A local accessories shop told me that early 17's don't have this, but that it was added later, somewhere around the time that mine was made.  Sorry the photo shows up sideways, I worked with it for a while and couldn't get it rotated. Thanks!

20171121_122255_10.jpg

Archived