I'm so upset..

I'm sure may of you have this issue. I sold my 2003 Dodge to buy this 2017 GMC Sierra. My plan is to keep it for another 12 years like my Dodge. I am so upset about this transmission issue. I have 6500 miles on it now and it still clunks when coming to a rolling stop, Long delay when going into reverse and now the latest. I left it in 2wd with the traction control on while in the snow. I drove up the hill by my house real slow to see how it works. All of the cars I owned when traction control comes on you could feel it working sounding like a slight GRRR GGRRR sound. No problem. This trucks BANGS...when locking and unlocking. NOW...I turned off the traction control and it sounds like the rear is going to fall out when it grips and then slips. I spent more than I wanted for this truck and have no idea what to do. The dealer says the transmission issue is normal...I'm going back to see about the traction control. I'd really like to drive another new truck to compare. I have NEVER owned a vehicle that sounded like this. The worst part is I plan on keeping it and am worried it won't last 5 years....I might start writing letters to GMC..This is BS...

Try a different dealer service dept.?  

If the dealer service advisor claims the issue is normal, have them take a new, similar truck off the lot for a ride with you and see how it drives in comparison to yours. 

Take your service manager for a drive to show him/her your concerns.  If you are not satisfied then do as Shredzy suggests.  There is no need to be upset.  You have plenty of warranty time to iron out any issues.  I've owned many trucks and nothing rides as nice as my '15 Sierra 1500.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

8 speed?

:happysad:

Yes 8 speed. When I went in for my first oil change at 4000 miles I complained and they said it's normal and has a service bulletin. I said I want it in my record anyway. I'm going back tomorrow to schedule an appointment. I'll keep going back until I feel it's right. I can't cut my losses. I paid $52K with tax. I owe 45K. 

Bro it's a problem with the 8-speed. I have a 17 Sierra SLT as well that bangs into gear. I've only had it since July 12th and it now has 17,xxx miles on it. I drive 55 miles one way to work, and at this rate this truck will be out of warranty in 18 months with its shitty transmission that there's no fix for, regardless of what anyone tells you. Get on social media (FB) voice your concern on any Silverado / Sierra ads and their Social Media Rep will ask you to send them a private message. Although there are not really customer service, they will forward it to someone who WILL contact you and open a case for you. They will set up an appointment with your dealership to "look" at it again and where it goes from there is up for discussion. It's been going on with some 2014 models and 2018 has the same 8-speed. In my opinion it's just a design flaw that won't be fixed for years to come as manufacturers don't just overhaul a major components like a transmission, if it's not a "Safety" issue.

Here is what I find helps mine, I have to let my truck warm up for 3-5 mins before I start driving. I just remote start about that time when I'm about to leave for work and do the same 5 mins to quitting time. It's doesn't fix whatever the flaw is but is substantially reduces the clunky downshifting/upshifting or whatever the hell is going on with it.  It's my 1st GM, I waiting to see what the 19 Toyota Tundra updates are and this truck is gone. Good luck

I have come to realize that all manufactures have sloppy workmanship and design these days and trucks are not built like they used to be. You do have a warranty in the mean time so get it fixed if it has a problem. With that said my 16 has done that since I got it and I now have 142K miles on the truck and the trans is still working. The truck sees alot of dirt roads and steep hills everyday and city traffic but is still going. Now since the truck is used so much I do do trans service every 25k miles and oil every 3k religiously.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Pretty much, the keep the engine operating within a narrow rpm band for maximum torque and economy. 

If you buy a high end, aka..Denali, or High Country, you get an 8 speed with the standard 5.3 V8, correct?

Do the SLT's and LTZ's come with an 8 speed? 

My 2017 5.3 midnight edition LT came with the 6 speed. I'm not in love with it, but it's just OK. 

Edited by Loco-diablo

21 hours ago, Bash74 said:

I have come to realize that all manufactures have sloppy workmanship and design these days and trucks are not built like they used to be. You do have a warranty in the mean time so get it fixed if it has a problem. With that said my 16 has done that since I got it and I now have 142K miles on the truck and the trans is still working. The truck sees alot of dirt roads and steep hills everyday and city traffic but is still going. Now since the truck is used so much I do do trans service every 25k miles and oil every 3k religiously.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nice to be rich and have money to burn with ATF fluid change outs at such a short interval. Dirt hills and traffic put no extra load on the transmission. Try towing a 10,000 lb. trailer at altitude on 100 degree days and then the ATF is going to be more stressed. You may as well change the motor oil every 1000 miles while you are at it and use the super expensive stuff from Amsoil.

Actually trucks are built far better than they used to be but the manufactures need to see gas guzzling trucks which are their most profitable segment and at the same time meet the fleet fuel economy numbers for the fed CAFE program (which is a good thing considering the $1 trillion a year taxpayers fund for keeping the oil fields and shipping lanes open for the oil companies). So manufacturers choose to add 8,9, 10 speed transmissions and Auto Stop and disabling of some of the injectors while driving. All of this helps their numbers but creates driveability problems for their customers.

When it comes to balancing profits against customer service and satisfaction the truck manufacturers go with profits every time and this is true for ALL of the ones producing 1/2 ton pickups and large SUV's. Same kinds of complaints by customers regardless of brand and many posts where people state that this is their 5th or 12th XYZ vehicle and their next one is going to be something from another manufacturer.

Until such time as the situation changes and the automotive engineers get their act together I plan to stay with my diesel powered pickup with its Allison transmission. It has the DEF and related emissions systems that are a weak point but overall the engine and transmission are excellent. And maybe it is better to stick with the devil you know.