Factory Engine Block Heater

Many people have. What's your question you really want to ask?

It goes in the driver side of block. There is a plug designed to be removed and replaced by the unit. OEM design comes with a thermostat that many remove because it won't allow the heater operate until it hits some really low temps

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=engine+block+heater&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=www.gm-trucks.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

I did it on the ground at home, you just need an inverted 17mm hex socket to remove the freeze plug. The OEM heater element plug threads right in... I opted to let the coolant run out and lost less than a quart. The GM cord has clips attached that makes it easy to route the cord along the frame and out the front.

Overall it took me less than an hour including jacking up the truck. I have 4 wheel drive and got around the front drive shaft with extensions and a swivel. 

Depends on the vehicle.

My '04 Sierra 3500 and 97 Ford F150 both start fine up to about -20 to -25C, after that, they prefer being plugged in, but they are both gas.  Diesels seem to prefer being plugged in after about -15C or so.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, txab said:

Many people have. What's your question you really want to ask?

The reference provided was for the last gen motors. Is the 0 degrees F limit still an issue with the Ecotec3 motors? That's the question I really want to ask. 

When I owned my diesel, I put my heater on a HD wall timer...unless you expect to be able to start it at any hour, having the block heater just cycle on a couple hours before you need the vehicle is really all you need...plus the electric bill won't give you sticker shock!

The early Cummins had a 600 watt heater, the later ones have a 750 watt heater. How many watts do these gasser version have?

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

There area about a dozen threads on this topic all going the same place. Nowhere. How about some logic?

1.) GM is the only one using this tech. :loser:

2.) Warm motors are more fuel efficient.

3.) Warm motors emit lower emissions. 

4.) It's code. IT does whatever you tell it to do. 

What's logic tells you?

1.) This is NOT and EPA mandate or everyone would be bound by it. 

2.) Fixable with a few lines of code

3.) There are more eco friendly reasons to use it than not to. It's not just an easy to start thing. 

4.) GM is handing people reasons to buy anything else.

5.) Stupid is as stupid does. :loser:

Why they wouldn't fix it. 

1.) Some knucklehead included it in the EPA test submission and a retest would be required. :loser:

2.) Cold starts reduce engine life by multiples.

:lurk:  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived