Oil pressure

So was in my way home today, notice the pressure gauge would drop some, than go back to normal. Then my cel came on. As I pulled in my driveway, got the dreaded low pressure, shut off engine message. 

Hopefully just a sensor but another suggestions? If it's just the sensor, I assume it's still fine to drive?

Screenshot_20180102-171349.png

Well, there is also checking that you do have oil at the right level.

Sure, it's fine to drive if it is just the sensor.  But I wouldn't drive it without being very sure that it is just the sensor, because if it's not, it's hello, new engine.

21 minutes ago, davester said:

Well, there is also checking that you do have oil at the right level.

Sure, it's fine to drive if it is just the sensor.  But I wouldn't drive it without being very sure that it is just the sensor, because if it's not, it's hello, new engine.

Yeah of course. Is there an easy way to tell if it's the sensor or that I do I will pressure?

Just wondering if that is normal oil pressure for a 5.3L when fully heated? Never once seen it drop below that. Thinking i might try replacing the little screen by the pressure switch. Im running 5W30 Mobil 1 Extended Performence Synthetic Oik with that Dexos additive that GM recommends.c04d1ce14c8c44544cfabc7f02256784.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mines always right around 275, bit over, bit under depending. Never that low. 
Im thinking that i need to change the o ring on the pick, to correct it because i was going to say when i had my 99 Silverado with the 5.3 at idle fully heated would idle at 275 mark.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Well, consider this scenario.  If your oil pump pick up tube o-ring fails how will you then know before the motor destroys itself?  Minimum oil pressure at idle is about 6 psi so if you have to drive it, do so sparingly until you can change that part out.  If running synthetic oil, you've given yourself a larger cushion of protection.

So I still havent fixed this. I did do an oil change, and the OP has been fine. moves normally, check engine light went out, etc. Not sure whats up, but its working normally for now. I'll hang onto the sensor just in case.

• 1 month later...

Archived