Tire upgrade time

My stock tires have 12,000 miles on them and are just awful in even light snow traction wise even in 4wd.    I’m going to put them on a set of aftermarket rims and use them only in summer and fall where they work great.  Anyhow my 2016 Sierra SLE came  stock with 265/65/18 tires and the Michelin LTX AT2 I ordered  doesn’t come in that size.  They do come in 275/65/18.  My tire installer seems to think they will fit the stock unlifted setup of my truck without any rubbing but my GMC dealership couldn’t or wouldn’t give me

an answer one way or another.  Will I be ok with that small size increase on this truck?  Thanks!

I've got 41k on mine (stock goodyears) I also want to go with the Michelins when the time comes in the next year or so. I hope you get some helpful responses.

Bob

I agree with your tire installer.  275 is a standard OEM width and only gives your stock wheels a slight increase in height.  I wouldn't give it a second thought.  BTW  Michelin Defenders are available in your original size.  I find they do well in snowy conditions.

9 hours ago, Donstar said:

I agree with your tire installer.  275 is a standard OEM width and only gives your stock wheels a slight increase in height.  I wouldn't give it a second thought.  BTW  Michelin Defenders are available in your original size.  I find they do well in snowy conditions.

It was a tough choice to make and having had the LTX MS2 on my old Ranger I looked hard at the new LTX Defender.  If they're an improvement over the MS2 then they must be phenominal.  If they were just a rebranded MS2 they'd still get my highest recommendation for ride and wear.  The only issue I had with them was rim leaks that I had to have resealed every couple years and the sidewalls seemed lightweight for a truck application.  But traction in any driving condition was quite good.

1 hour ago, Pythonman said:

It was a tough choice to make and having had the LTX MS2 on my old Ranger I looked hard at the new LTX Defender.  If they're an improvement over the MS2 then they must be phenominal.  If they were just a rebranded MS2 they'd still get my highest recommendation for ride and wear.  The only issue I had with them was rim leaks that I had to have resealed every couple years and the sidewalls seemed lightweight for a truck application.  But traction in any driving condition was quite good.

On my last truck I went through a set of P265/70/17 Michelin LTX MS2'S and switched them for the same except  in the LT version.  (I had read too many forums!)  The only functional difference I found between the P and LT versions was poorer gas mileage with the heavier tire.  When I experienced my first winter with my oem tires on this truck I quickly switched to new Defenders (P rated)  

BTW.  I have switched my low mileage oem tires with Michelins on my past three trucks.  I was always able to sell my take-offs for a decent price.  It can be a pita and expensive to switch every spring.

Factory tire offerings on 2018 1500 sierra.  (I left off those listed as 'spare' and the 22's.

RBZ    Tires, P255/70R17 all-season, blackwall

RC3         Tires, P265/70R17 all-terrain, blackwall

RC5         Tires, LT265/70R17C all-terrain, blackwall

RKX         Tires, P265/65R18 all-season, blackwall
1 - Requires (NHT) Max Trailering Package.

RBX         Tires, P265/65R18 all-terrain, blackwall
1 - Requires a 4WD model. Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package.

QSS         Tires, P275/55R20 all-season, blackwall
1 - Requires (NHT) Max Trailering Package. 

QT0         Tires, P275/55R20 all-season, blackwall
1 - Included and only available with (SXL) Elevation Edition. 

RC7         Tires, P275/55R20 all-terrain, blackwall
1 - Requires 4WD model, (SXL) Elevation Edition and (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. 

RBW         Tires, P265/65R18 all-terrain, white outlined letter
1 - Not available with (NHT) Max Trailering Package.

RI8    Tires, 265/65R18SL MT 114S blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. Aggressive tread may result in a higher level of noise while driving. Routine tire rotations are strongly recommended to minimize irregular tread wear, which could lead to vibration and increased road noise.
1 - Included and only available with (STF) All Terrain X Package.

Got the new Michelin LTX AT2s installed and so far I like them fine.  Road noise is about the same as the Bridgestones, maybe a tad louder but still reasonably quiet.  Ride is softer and you can feel more contact with the road.  Traction is worlds better in dry, wet snow and ice.  As a bonus they fill out the wheel wells better too.  Should I have the front end alignment rechecked?  I had the alignment done back in March when the truck was newer. 

20A9433C-01F6-41B0-96AA-DD614B4FED3B.jpeg

Archived