Looking for 3 Row SUV

onecrazyfoo4u

Wanted to get everyone's opinion.  I'm hunting for our next SUV kid hauler.  It has to have 3 rows and 4wd or awd for the snow.  I have 3 kids, 7, 5, and 2.  So I would need to fit all three car seats and boosters in the second row preferably.  Third row is for when we have visitors and will be folded down majority of the time.  

We've had a Dodge journey for the last five years and it's been great.  Just want something bigger and not 2wd.  I think we've narrowed it down to four options.  Budget is $30k max, and no more than 2-3 years old.  Trying to decide between a Tahoe, Ford Explorer, Dodge Journey, and Honda Pilot.  

What would you all get for a kid hauler?  Do you guys know of any problems with any of these vehicles from the last couple years?  They all seem to be rated pretty well.  The Tahoe's are priced quite a bit more than the other three for some reason.  We don't need an SUV as huge as the suburbans or expeditions.  Thanks for any help!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I raised three children with a similar age range.  I regularly struggled to find the perfect vehicle like you are doing now.  IMO, the best people movers have always been the Suburban and its GM equivalent.  However it is always at a price-point above the average young family's ability to afford.  Many of us found the mini-van a functional alternative but challenged our love of vehicles.  If you were to give up one of your priorities, you could do well with the others.  A crew-cab pick-up will meet your needs except for 3rd row seating.  A Tahoe will meet your needs except for the 30k price limit.  I recommend a pickup with a cover on the back and find other ways to accommodate additional passengers.  

Yeah I like the suburban, just way too huge for us.  Don't need that much cargo space, or the poor gas mileage.  Minivans are definitely a no-go.  We just can't stand them, and we've tried them out alot.  I already own a crew cab truck, and it works when we take the camper out.  But we need the extra third row seats for frequent family in town.  The Durango's or Explorers seem desirable since they are much cheaper than a Tahoe.  Honda I'm not a huge fan of.

Is this for your wife to drive?

We had a Tahoe with our first child. After a few years my wife got tired of the Tahoe (vehicle size). She wanted a van and loves it. I could care less since I have the truck and a car. I keep trying to get her to get a traverse but to be honest while the kids are young the power sliding doors are nice for them

Your best bet is to have whoever is going to be driving it drive it and see what they like. All 4 of the vehicles your are comparing are different hard to do an apples vs apples

Ryan B.

1 minute ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Is this for your wife to drive?

We had a Tahoe with our first child. After a few years my wife got tired of the Tahoe (vehicle size). She wanted a van and loves it. I could care less since I have the truck and a car. I keep trying to get her to get a traverse but to be honest while the kids are young the power sliding doors are nice for them

Your best bet is to have whoever is going to be driving it drive it and see what they like. All 4 of the vehicles your are comparing are different hard to do an apples vs apples

Ryan B.

Yeah she does majority of the driving with it.  She's the one deathly against a van.  I was somewhat open to it, but she wants nothing to do with them.  She's tested several minivans.

What's your aversion to a slightly older vehicle?  These things run forever when taken care of.  I find the regular size Suburbans and Yukon XLs easy to maneuver in grocery store parking lots and the extra storage space is always made use of.  My Yukon XLs cabin is on par with our old GM minivans, but the vans had a much more comfortable 3rd row for full sized adults.  The leg room in the truck's 3rd row is like sitting in the backseat of a '79 Camaro.    

Another vehicle that has recently caught my attention is the Nissan "Suburbanesque" looking vehicle.  I don't believe they are available in 4X4 but have a little more friendly price.

related-1.jpg

48 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Another vehicle that has recently caught my attention is the Nissan "Suburbanesque" looking vehicle.  I don't believe they are available in 4X4 but have a little more friendly price.

related-1.jpg

Oh man, that is hideous!  I would rather drive a minivan over that!

52 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

What's your aversion to a slightly older vehicle?  These things run forever when taken care of.  I find the regular size Suburbans and Yukon XLs easy to maneuver in grocery store parking lots and the extra storage space is always made use of.  My Yukon XLs cabin is on par with our old GM minivans, but the vans had a much more comfortable 3rd row for full sized adults.  The leg room in the truck's 3rd row is like sitting in the backseat of a '79 Camaro.    

We plan to get a 2-3 year old vehicle.  Most of the 2014-16 Tahoes are above $30k though.  There are a ton of options for Durangos, Explorers, and Pilots under $30k though.  Plus the mileage on a giant suburban would be bad.  No need to have something that huge if it isn't necessary.

20 minutes ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Oh man, that is hideous!  I would rather drive a minivan over that!

I don't know if you're basing this comment solely on this picture or if you've been behind the wheel.  They are more comparable to full sized truck based SUV's than a mini van.  If you haven't seen one up close, have a look. The lack of a 4 wd option is what I dislike.

Most people in the 60s-80s used mid to full-size cars. I have 3 sibs we had 2 door Buick’s. I had 3 kids my wife drove mostly mid sized 2 doors. Broaden you search for midsize 4 doors and station wagons. As far as 4WD their out there too, Subaru for one. 4WD should be down on the list, no reason to be out with the kids in bad weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Suburban isn't a giant and the 2015 Suburban with 4WD gets the same mileage on the highway as a 4WD Tahoe and 1 less mpg in the city.  Nobody will notice.

It's your perogative but you still did not answer my question about your aversion to considering an older vehicle.  Many folks, especially those with young families wish they had gotten that extra 20 inches of cargo space.  

I'm struggling with why you must purchase a larger vehicle to haul relatives around. Buy what suits you and your wife 5 days a week. If you have relatives over on the weekend, can't they drive their own car when you go out for dinner? Or if you have to chauffeur, then the wife can drive one vehicle, and you can drive your truck. just sayin....

I agree with the hatred for minivans' looks, but man are they convenient. Lower height for easy kids access, plenty of space, 3 rows of seats, better mileage than the yukon/tahoe family. It really is the most practical option.... now that doesn't mean that I would buy one. My wife got a Terrain (same body as Equinox) it is nice for 2 kids, but it's narrower than my truck. I wouldn't want to cram 3 child seats back there.

P.S. you aren't going to make any adults you respect crawl over the kids' seats into the 3rd row of anything. Unless your extra passengers are also kids. My in-laws got a 2013 yukon XL that they want us all to ride in when we go visit. But since having our second child, its easier to just keep the car seats in my truck and follow them around.

Archived