16 Sierra 5.3 8sp with American racing long tubes

OK so I pulled the trigger after talking to American Racing and BB tuning and got a set of the catted 1 7/8" long tubes for my truck.  Got them installed leaving the factory Borla touring exhaust.  So a few issues, I did the data record for Justin and got a retune back but am still throwing the cat codes P420 P430  Catalyst system efficiency below threshold.    These are the catted pipes just deleting the 3rd cat. 

What are others going to get rid of these codes?  Both AR and BBT said there will be no codes or CEL.  Secondary issue is the remote start is inop with any CEL.

My other concern is the exhaust is very raspy with the Borla muffler.  Really bad under a load and shifting.  What mufflers are your guys using while retaining a lower sound. Now I am pretty tame normal driving and sounds about as loud as I want under load and higher RPM, just not the tone Ive been used to from my old truck.  I don't know of its the muffler but the headers really made it pronounced.

On a different note,  Anyone use Dash Command?  So Ive been using it to check performance and numbers.  While I dont know how they use the truck data to see  estimated HP numbers.  I do see a increase with the changes.  With the exhaust, Volant CAI, AR Headers and BBT tune I am recording a 6.22  0-60 and peaking at 355 RWHP.  Stock it was about 315 RWHP before.  While HP numbers are calculated and may change the 0-60 also dropped from 6.8 to 6.22  on the same road.  

rps20180103_205913_517.jpg

rps20180103_205946_760.jpg

rps20180103_210015_272.jpg

What tuning software are you using? I had the same issue when I put my Kooks on. My truck went pig rich. My tuner was able to address the issue no problem. If you have HPTuners I know you can set it not to set the engine light but continue to monitor. 

I have the magnaflow flow off road exhaust and it is “raspy” as well since the headers. I may try a 50 series Flowmaster.

First reccomendation is to find a local tuner. BB is awsome for a simple mail tune but way better in person with a wide band hooked up and really giving your truck a custom tune espcially when you add headers it is a must. There is only so much data that can be collected from the truck ECM for a tune. The wide band gives you realtime true data to tune from.

Those codes can easily be disabled from triggering a CEL. I have HPTuners and that is about the only thing I know how to with it besides flash a file.

I have a 2017 6.2 Denali ultimate with AR headers 1 7/8, GM Borla dual rear exit, Air raid intake full kit. Custom tune by East Coast Superchargers Cream Ridge, NJ.

Any place that does Camaros and corvettes should be able to tune a GM truck well look for those kind of shops. Look for reviews and pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, wildlyfe200 said:

First reccomendation is to find a local tuner. BB is awsome for a simple mail tune but way better in person with a wide band hooked up and really giving your truck a custom tune espcially when you add headers it is a must. There is only so much data that can be collected from the truck ECM for a tune. The wide band gives you realtime true data to tune from.

Those codes can easily be disabled from triggering a CEL. I have HPTuners and that is about the only thing I know how to with it besides flash a file.

I have a 2017 6.2 Denali ultimate with AR headers 1 7/8, GM Borla dual rear exit, Air raid intake full kit. Custom tune by East Coast Superchargers Cream Ridge, NJ.

Any place that does Camaros and corvettes should be able to tune a GM truck well look for those kind of shops. Look for reviews and pull the trigger.

How much different is that setup to drive than stock? Pretty noticeable gains? I am wanting to do a similar setup. 

How much different is that setup to drive than stock? Pretty noticeable gains? I am wanting to do a similar setup. 
For sure 50hp gain so 420hp up to 470. Not massive but the tune really takes advantage of the gains with the headers and intake. Also they tune the trans a little more aggressively if you want that.

How much different from stock. Haha.. I had a GM tech pick me up in my truck to get me from my house when it went it for service. He had smile on his face and some questions to ask. He says this truck drives alot different from any 6.2 truck I drove. "When you hit the gas it just puts smile on your face" direct quote.

The exaust is perfect for me with the AR headers and the GM Borla touring. It's loud when you get on it but is quiet at crusing speed. It has the flapper and I kept V4. No drone no issues. Also put hi flow cats from AR. I had an AR authorized dealer install them and if you do they will honor warranty if you install them yourself warranty is null and void. Just remember that if you are installing $1700 American Racing headers. I read there policy beforehand.

So probably putting a little over 400hp to the wheels with headers, intake and tune. I read the tune really allows you to use the power down low. I’m a little worried about losing warranty but I don’t believe I will need warranty if I shut that afm crap off. 

So probably putting a little over 400hp to the wheels with headers, intake and tune. I read the tune really allows you to use the power down low. I’m a little worried about losing warranty but I don’t believe I will need warranty if I shut that afm crap off. 
I drove mine for 4k miles to make sure nothing was gonna break and took it right in. Hell it's only a 60k warranty. My warranty will be done in 2 years. I am already at 22k in 9 months.

Yeah I just hit 1k on mine. Would like to get a little more time on it before tuning. Do these motors have a pretty audible tick to them at idle? Even on the test drive and looking at it I noticed it. Said something to the sales guy and he said they all do it. 

So my 16 has no real tick.  Its not super quiet but no motor noises.  

On the AFM thoughts.  So if you disable do you still have the oil consumption and also moreover still the chance for lifter failure? 

Wildlyfe,  are you using a oil catch can? Been thinking of adding one.  Im at just under 20kmiles.  

Anyone have expirence with aftermarket warranties and mods like ours? IE no forced induction. 

Yeah I just hit 1k on mine. Would like to get a little more time on it before tuning. Do these motors have a pretty audible tick to them at idle? Even on the test drive and looking at it I noticed it. Said something to the sales guy and he said they all do it. 
My 6.2 with LT headers you can hear it ticking along like clock work. When I first got the headers I thought the ticking was an exhaust leak but figured it out that the very thin walled headers pass that ticking noise right out the engine. It's not that loud but noticeable. I like it.

So my 16 has no real tick.  Its not super quiet but no motor noises.  

On the AFM thoughts.  So if you disable do you still have the oil consumption and also moreover still the chance for lifter failure? 

Wildlyfe,  are you using a oil catch can? Been thinking of adding one.  Im at just under 20kmiles.  

Anyone have expirence with aftermarket warranties and mods like ours? IE no forced induction. 
Yeah I put on a catch can glad I did. I did the teamrxp.com billet monster can with clean side seperator.

I left Afm on and have no regrets I want to save gas when I'm driving slow.

8k miles and I got a little less than 1/2 of a Poland Spring water bottle of sludge out of it. I'm a believer I don't want that in my motor.

Archived