Is the newer 5.3 enough engine

Jeffburd

Okay guys I need y'all to beat this dead horse one more time for me. I am in the market to buy a used Silverado to pull my travel trailer. The first truck I have looked at is a 2015 with 35k miles on it crew cab with the 3.42 rear axle ratio 5.3 litter. And the second is a 2016 double cab with the max tow package (3.73) with only 17k miles on it. I'm leaning towards the crew cab model with the boxed front end bc I like the look better and also like the crew cab. Or am I completely wrong and  really need a three-quarter ton. The camper is 5200 lbs.  dry weight with a 650 lb tongue weight. The longest trips currently are to Myrtle Beach South Carolina 250(flat) miles and to the Smoky Mountains 175( hills) miles

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is like for a 30 foot camper but it's an ultra-light. Originally purchased the camper because it's designed for a half ton pickup. I am currently pulling with a 2013 Tahoe with 3.08 gear ratio and it worry's me a little. I do get the tail wagging the dog effect and don't think that's going to change because the Silverado is basically the same curb weight. 

2015 CC 4x4 with 5.3 & 3:42 = 9200lbs towing capacity

2016 DC 4x4 with 5.3 & 3:73 = 11000lbs towing capacity

These are from Trailer Life Towing Guide available to view online. Both will work for your application. I would just add an extra trans cooler.

I used this guide to make my decision on my new truck - 2018 1500 CC 4x4 6.2 & 3:42 gears. I also towed a 7800lb trailer with 09 Yukon 5.3 with 3:73 gears - rated to tow 8700lbs - needed the extra trans cooler for the hill climbs on hot summer days.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2015.pdf

Decisions, decisions, decisions 

2013 Tahoe 5.3 3:08 2wd = 5500lbs towing cap - w 3:42 = 8500lb towing cap

2013 Tahoe 5.3 3:08 4wd = 5200lbs towing cap - w 3:42 = 8200lb towing cap

You were pull a lot of weight for the way your Tahoe is set up.

I had the same issues several years ago towing a 5800 lb 24' TT with a 99 Tahoe 5.7L 3.73 rear end. When I upgraded the shocks, tires, and WD hitch the Tail Wagging went away but the under powered feeling didn't. However when I traded the Tahoe on a 2500HD. The longer WB and stiffer springs along with the increased HP and torque eliminated  all my towing issues. Yes my MPG suffered compared to the Tahoe - the 2500 got 12 in town and 16 on the hy (at best) towing it did between 7 and 11.

Now between your two trucks - the Max Tow has an HD rear axle, all of the extra coolers and the 3.73 rear end and in theory it will do a very good job towing your TT over the road.

I understand that the CC adds more interior room - but in the 1500 I think the bed is shorter and it would be wise to check the wheelbase difference between the two. The 3.42 is a decent gear set and will give you a bit better MPG when unloaded but will actually decrease your towing performance.

If you are only going to tow a few weekends, over flat goads and close to home the CC truck will be fine - however for longer trips or towing in the mountains the 3.73 will be your best choice.

BTW I recently bought a new TT and truck - I now tow an 8000 lb 31'TT with a 2500 DMax -no lack of power.

Archived