NV3500 trans

Hey,

I'm in search of a replacement trans for my nephews 1997 K1500.  He's got the 5.7 in a half ton 4x4 with a 5 spd manual. I believe it's got the NV3500 transmission in it. This truck is in great condition except my nephew drives it pretty hard. We bought it about 3-4 years ago and the trans has given up the ghost so to say. The engine is stock except for a cold air intake, so I'm guessing at 250 hp and 325 ft lbs torque at 4000 rpm.  After some surfing I've begun to think a remanufactured NV3500 would be the best overall choice. This is a daily driver driven on the street most of the time. It does see some off road use, mostly for hauling motorcycles to off road places. I considered going to an NV4500 but the weight and gearing rule that out. I also thought maybe a Tremec 3550 might work  but I'm unsure. This work will most likely be done by me so I'm looking at ease of install. I've also looked online at places to buy a reman and found Extreme Performance that offers a 1 year warranty with unlimited mileage for $900 plus $300 on a rebuildable core . That's another issue, from what my nephew describes it sounds like he grenaded the trans. So were possibly looking at a core that is not usable. I don't mind doing the work I just want it to last.  Before I commit to a reman NV3500 I want to explore options. Maybe even something that will stand up better to how it's being driven. Any help about doing this, where the reman was bought, how satisfied you are with the trans, possible websites to visit and suggestions for what to put in there would be most appreciated . IMG_1083.thumb.JPG.9c2ab0fd47c70f7bec8bdc93c036f894.JPG

Thanks Logan,

At this point I'm just trying to help my nephew make a good long term choice.  I have not checked it out yet but might be able to next week.  From what he described something broke internally so at a minimum it needs to come apart to inspect.  I'm leaning toward getting a reman NV3500. And of course reminding him not to jerk it around so much lol.  I just hope the case is not cracked and it can be used as a core. Anyway thanks for the response.

Jcris

Archived