Silverado Fuel Log

While I don't write anything down, I do take note of my mileage. I reset the TRIP 'A'  everytime I fill up to see approx mileage. Though the computer tells you MPG since resetting the trip odometer.

I've never reset the TRIP 'B' since purchasing the truck new, so the trp B mileage matches the odometer and has recorded my average MPG since new. I'm around 18.5 mpg (89 octane) over the lifetime of 11,000 miles. (LT double cab, 4x4, 5.3L) 

This being my first winter, I have definitely seen a decrease in mpg with the colder weather and the winter blend fuel.

I don't want to get too anal about it since it is what it is and there is very little you can do about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Fixed that for ya...

And then you lose money because of the added cost and no other benefits.

Tyler

Goodness no, it's always at least 2 mpg better.  With the reduction in fuel costs, it was recently costing me .0015 cents more to run 93 than 87.  That's almost 4 pennies more for a whole tank of gas (26 gallons) for those of you in Rio Linda.  Saving even more by running on E85 as of late.  E85 is costing me .18 cents a mile verses .24 cents a mile on 93.  Not to mention all the driveability problems folks have running that cheap fuel, hard starts, rough idles, etc.  Not so with the good stuff.  

19 hours ago, smurfy71 said:

I use the Fuelly app.

beff771c6f7cfac1f678efa2d05d71f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howd'y

Just tried finding this app in the Play store, seems as tho both this app and the other app mention Road Trip are for Apple devices. Is there anyone on here that can recommend a good app like the fuelly app but for an android based device. I have downloaded a couple and they seem to be very poorly designed and not so user friendly.

Thanks

Howd'y

Just tried finding this app in the Play store, seems as tho both this app and the other app mention Road Trip are for Apple devices. Is there anyone on here that can recommend a good app like the fuelly app but for an android based device. I have downloaded a couple and they seem to be very poorly designed and not so user friendly.

Thanks

Is this the same app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Fuelly,+LLC

9 minutes ago, smurfy71 said:

Is this the same app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Fuelly,+LLC

I'll give that one a try and see how that one works.

Thanks for the input! :thumbs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeekNDstroy2012 said:

Howd'y

Thanks

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zonewalker.acar&hl=en

This is the one I use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

While I don't write anything down, I do take note of my mileage. I reset the TRIP 'A'  everytime I fill up to see approx mileage. Though the computer tells you MPG since resetting the trip odometer.

I've never reset the TRIP 'B' since purchasing the truck new, so the trp B mileage matches the odometer and has recorded my average MPG since new. I'm around 18.5 mpg (89 octane) over the lifetime of 11,000 miles. (LT double cab, 4x4, 5.3L) 

This being my first winter, I have definitely seen a decrease in mpg with the colder weather and the winter blend fuel.

I don't want to get too anal about it since it is what it is and there is very little you can do about it.

I live in Oklahoma. What is this winter fuel blend you speak of?

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Goodness no, it's always at least 2 mpg better.  With the reduction in fuel costs, it was recently costing me .0015 cents more to run 93 than 87.  That's almost 4 pennies more for a whole tank of gas (26 gallons) for those of you in Rio Linda.  Saving even more by running on E85 as of late.  E85 is costing me .18 cents a mile verses .24 cents a mile on 93.  Not to mention all the driveability problems folks have running that cheap fuel, hard starts, rough idles, etc.  Not so with the good stuff.  

You can get 93 for .0015 a gallon more? It's like 20-25 cents higher for 91 and 50 cents higher for 93 here. I don't think my truck will run E85.

8 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

Loco - I know you know to manually calculate a few tanks individually and compare it to the GM computer.  My truck is somewhat optimistic.,,

13 hours ago, rudyb said:

You can get 93 for .0015 a gallon more? It's like 20-25 cents higher for 91 and 50 cents higher for 93 here. I don't think my truck will run E85.

No.  See if this example makes sense:

87 octane equals 11 miles to the gallon.  26 gallons @ $2.65 per gallon equals $68.90 and a range of 286 miles.  Divide the cost of the tank of gas by the range and you get $.2409 cents a mile.

93 octane equals 13 miles to the gallon.  26 gallons @ $3.11 per gallon equals $80.86 and a range of 338 miles.  Divide the cost of the tank of gas by the range and you get $.2392 cents a mile.

In this example the difference is negligable, it doesn't make sense to use the cheap gas when the top tier high octane fuel is so much better for the engine.  You'll have to work out your own numbers for your area and your truck.  I find that the mpg difference is at least 2 mpg and often much more.

The trucks will have a yellow gas cap (from the factory) or yellow trim around the opening for the capless to run FlexFuel.

Here's another wrinkle worthy of consideration for those with FlexFuel engines:

E85 equals 9 miles to the gallon.  26 gallons @ $2.11 per gallon equals $54.86 and a range of 234 miles.  Divide the cost of the tank of E85 by the range and you get $.2344 cents a mile.

So if you want some free horsepower and cleaner burning fuel for your injectors and don't mind the more frequent trips to the filling station, this too is a viable option.  My frustration with E85 is has been the alcohol content was not uniform among the different stations.  Therefore, mileage would be different.  But lately, I've been using one station and the alcohol content has been the same for the last two tanks.

Edited by swathdiver
  • Like 1

Alright, I'm with ya. Sorry you had to break it down for my tiny brain lol. I've had this truck for a few months and I still haven't broke out the manual. I'm still not sure if I can run e85. I dont have any yellow around my gas cap so I'm guessing I can't. 

Edited by rudyb

• 3 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:44 AM, Boardmember said:

Loco - I know you know to manually calculate a few tanks individually and compare it to the GM computer.  My truck is somewhat optimistic.,,

Mine is optimistic also. I recently measured 16.9 mpg using the old pen and paper method - GM's computer was telling me 18.1 mpg.

NOTE TO GM: This is not rocket science!!

I've been using Fuelly (recently), and it's showing 19.5 aMPG (16 refuels, <4500 miles), with truck's computer (Trip B) showing 19.3 aMPG (>50.2K+ miles), since I bought it. 

How have you guys been getting it to reflect in signatures?  And does it automatically update?

4 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

I've been using Fuelly (recently), and it's showing 19.5 aMPG (16 refuels, <4500 miles), with truck's computer (Trip B) showing 19.3 aMPG (>50.2K+ miles), since I bought it. 

How have you guys been getting it to reflect in signatures?  And does it automatically update?

Go to the Fuelly webpage and log in. There is a  link for the banner that you can insert into your signature here on this forum. It automatically updates for you. Mine covers the 60000 miles I have had my truck and that is the lifetime mileage that Fuelly calcatez based on your fill up information you input. My dash readout shows 23.5mpg over the same distance.

• Thanks 1