Disable DIC messages

Anyway to disable certain DIC messages?  I always get 2-3 pop up everytime I start truck.  "Bluetooth connected to xxxx", "xxxx wifi is connected", "ice possible".  For the first two - tell me when they DON'T connect.  I don't need to know each time they do - I have an expectation they will.  To the third - well duh - it's 10F degrees  outside.  Whaddya think - think I'm old enough by this time to realize that particular tidbit of info.

Either that - or reroute those messages to the infotainment ONLY (which they ALSO appear on).

Anyway - frustrating as they block the DIC, and seeing anything, and waiting for them to disappear on their own takes too long (for me), so I keep cancelling them with the steering wheel button.  It was a bit "fun" at first, now I'm tired of it.

6 minutes ago, rocnrol said:

You know they go out on their own fairly quickly...... right?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Not that quickly.  They stay up 20-30 seconds, maybe a tad longer.  Which may not seem like much, but it's irritating, and blocks the rest of the display when that's what I want to see.  The length may be due to them being "stacked" - dunno, but

6 minutes ago, ewbldavis said:

I'm intrigued as my DIC messages do NOT appear on the radio screen (only the careful driving distraction does)

I think only the bluetooth and wifi display in the lower left of the radio screen.  They seem to go away faster than the DIC messages do, without pushing a button.

By the time I get my belt on, get the truck in gear, they're gone, hardly a bother. But then again I'm also baffled as to why headlights on all the time is such a big deal to some....... [emoji849]

14 minutes ago, rocnrol said:

By the time I get my belt on, get the truck in gear, they're gone, hardly a bother. But then again I'm also baffled as to why headlights on all the time is such a big deal to some....... emoji849.png

Interesting.  For me they are still there after getting the belt on, starting the engine, backing up, to make my turnout for the drive, and sometimes are still on when I get to the end of my drive (about 150 feet).  And I ain't zooming around.  Thinking about where I get when they finally disappear on their own - they last longer than 30 seconds.  So if there's a difference in timing - is there a timeout setting somewhere I haven't found?

I dislike this - extending the same logic, we should see messages:

• DEF tank fluid heater working
  • Fuel line heater working
  • Engine is on
  • Headlights are on
  • Onstar functioning
  • Onstar connected
  • blah, blah

I have expectations of those things when I start it up - they don't need to tell me they're working - tell me when they aren't.  So these other messages that are "non-essential" should follow the same patterns/rules as a CEL, etc.  Tell me when things aren't "right".  Or let me pick and choose which should display.  Or give people the option of which.

Interesting.  For me they are still there after getting the belt on, starting the engine, backing up, to make my turnout for the drive, and sometimes are still on when I get to the end of my drive (about 150 feet).  And I ain't zooming around.  Thinking about where I get when they finally disappear on their own - they last longer than 30 seconds.  So if there's a difference in timing - is there a timeout setting somewhere I haven't found?

I dislike this - extending the same logic, we should see messages:
  • DEF tank fluid heater working
  • Fuel line heater working
  • Engine is on
  • Headlights are on
  • Onstar functioning
  • Onstar connected
  • blah, blah
I have expectations of those things when I start it up - they don't need to tell me they're working - tell me when they aren't.  So these other messages that are "non-essential" should follow the same patterns/rules as a CEL, etc.  Tell me when things aren't "right".  Or let me pick and choose which should display.  Or give people the option of which.
Well.... That is weird [emoji848]

Yeah my 15 Silverado, 14 Impala and now 17 Sierra are the same way.  I usually have to clear them or it stays on for what seems like forever.  Just like parking inside nets me an ice warning a minute or two into the drive when it finally figures out it's not inside a heated building anymore... because holding last value on the exterior temp is useful for what exactly lol.  Unfortunately there is nothing to be done about it.

1 hour ago, gearheadesw said:

Mine stay on for like 5 seconds each, like rocnrol says, their gone buy the time I back out.

Mine definitely don't.  Like I said - more like 30 seconds or more.  With the "ice" message, I normally get at least 3 messages, sometimes 4.

Yesterday, I did some experimentation.  Unpaired my phone yesterday, and on the trip home, finally was above 32F.  So I only got one message - about the wifi hotspot.  For just ONE message, it took 12-14 seconds (roughly) for it to disappear on its own.  I'll try a few more experiments, but my suspicion is that the time is due to the quantity of messages.  I suspect there is only ONE timeout in the computer for DIC messages, so as each one pops up - the time before they disappear on their own INCREASES.  (All the messages I get appear in about 3 seconds).  They aren't on individual threads, each with their own timeout.  And since all of mine popup with 2-3 seconds of each other - it isn't one popping up to replace another, etc.

So - 4 messages might be as long as 56 seconds before they are cleared from the display.  3 messages would be 42 seconds or so.  With the ice message - I normally get 3, with my wife riding with me - both our phones create a "paired" message.   Pairing the phones was something the salesman insisted on when we bought the truck.  Thought it was dumb to do both - but...  I unpaired her phone when we were on a short vacation with the kids/grandkids last week.  There may also be differences between software revs and years of vehicle (maybe options as well) - mine's a 2017 2500HD that was equipped with a "mid-tier" level of options.

So - for those of you who say it clears quickly - how many messages do you get?  

Sorry - this is one of those things that personally bugs me.  I'm a software dev, senior analyst.  Been doing that stuff for almost too long (started in '73 when I was in high school).  Inconsistencies in software just grates on me.  So to act one way with critical messages, and completely opposite with non-critical messages is inconsistent and bugs me.  Messages are messages and should be treated in the same fashion.  As I said, tell me when something ISN'T working as expected.  Otherwise I expect it to work.  Or - move the non-critical messages to the infotainment screen (as I said, several of these show up on both the DIC and the infotainment screen - again an inconsistency since ALL DIC messages don't appear on the infotainment screen).

These days, I get the ice message and the phone pairing message. I get in truck, start, seat belt, seat heater, turn on the fog lights (pretty much drive with them on all the time), reverse, drive, and go. By the time I'm driving away messages are gone.

Sorry - this is one of those things that personally bugs me.  I'm a software dev, senior analyst.  Been doing that stuff for almost too long (started in '73 when I was in high school).  Inconsistencies in software just grates on me.  So to act one way with critical messages, and completely opposite with non-critical messages is inconsistent and bugs me.  Messages are messages and should be treated in the same fashion.  As I said, tell me when something ISN'T working as expected.  Otherwise I expect it to work.  Or - move the non-critical messages to the infotainment screen (as I said, several of these show up on both the DIC and the infotainment screen - again an inconsistency since ALL DIC messages don't appear on the infotainment screen).
I see what you're saying, good point

Archived