Temp on main viewer not correct.

Hey there all.  I know this is not as serious as most of the posts but I cant figure this out.  I just spent 24 hrs plowing and the temperature shown on the screen was accurate the whole time.  Its been couple days now and I just drove to my in laws tonight and noticed the temp was at 50 deg (its 10 deg outside) and kept rising...one deg at a time all the way to 105 or so untill i got home.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening and could it relate to something serious? or just faulty sensor

I can't tell from your post if your Denali has a 6.0 or a 6.6, but I'll take a shot anyway. On my 6.0 silveraydo, there is a 5th sensor by the 4 front park assist that I think is for the ambient temp. When I drive down the road with the plow mounted, the indicated outside temp on the myLink screen continually rises. At low speeds plowing, it doesn't. I think that my climate control doesn't work so well when the indicated outside temp is really high. I think that the 6.6 trucks have the outside temp sensor in the passenger side mirror. I think that the 6.0 temperature sensor is so close to the transmission cooler that it reads artificially high. I don't think that there is enough wire on the 6.0 front temp sensor to relocate it to a better place. I think the best resource for information is plowsite dot com. I am not going to do anything about it in my truck because I only plow my lot, and don't really travel with the plow mounted.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If it's a 6.6, the sensor in the rh mirror is for powertrain, the ambient sensor for the display is behind the grill. (see last paragraph)

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=4134

Full-Size Truck and SUV Ambient Temperature Display Information
January 22, 2015
How the ambient temperature reading is sent to the radio display varies on 2015 Escalade models, Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban, Sierra, and Yukon models; and 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500, depending on the model and radio option.

The following block diagrams may help clarify system operation.

1500 Trucks and All SUVs with Radio RPO IO3

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> ECM >>> (High Speed LAN) >>> BCM >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display

After the BCM sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.

1500 Trucks and All SUVs with Radio RPOs IO4, IO5, IO6

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> ECM >>> (High Speed LAN) >>> BCM >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (MOST Buss) >>> HMI >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display

After the BCM sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.

2500/3500 Trucks with Radio RPO IO3

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> Instrument Panel Cluster >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display

After the Instrument Panel Cluster sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.

2500/3500 Trucks with Radio RPO IO4, IO5, IO6

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor >>> (hard wired circuits 636 and 61) >>> Instrument Panel Cluster >>> (Low Speed LAN) >>> Radio Tuner >>> (MOST Buss) >>> HMI >>> (LVDS Cable) >>> Integrated Center Stack Display

After the Instrument Panel Cluster sends the ambient air temperature out on the Low Speed LAN buss, the HVAC Control Module also uses this information for HVAC related requirements.

TIP: The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor located in the passenger outside mirror on trucks equipped with the 6.6L diesel engine is not used for the ambient temperature display that is located on the radio or for HVAC-related requirements. This sensor is used only for powertrain requirements. The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor used for the radio display and HVAC is located behind the right side of the grill.

It is the 6.0

I dont typically drive this far with the plow on so if it is just when the plow is on and not a malfunction i need to bring it in for then ok.  This was the first time i plowed long hours with the truck.  Is it because the plow blocks the reading?  I dont see how when its 10 degrees outside and the temp steadily rises to 100+...doesnt make sense.  I can see how it would alter the reading but this seems like the electronics of the plow wiring interfere with the reading.

40 minutes ago, tooch420 said:

It is the 6.0

I dont typically drive this far with the plow on so if it is just when the plow is on and not a malfunction i need to bring it in for then ok.  This was the first time i plowed long hours with the truck.  Is it because the plow blocks the reading?  I dont see how when its 10 degrees outside and the temp steadily rises to 100+...doesnt make sense.  I can see how it would alter the reading but this seems like the electronics of the plow wiring interfere with the reading.

It's just measuring the temp between the grill and the radiator, where the sensor is located.

Truck running slow, and I'd guess a lot of time in reverse, so low air flow, and the rad getting warmer as the job continues.  

Does the rad fan ever kick in when plowing?

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, tooch420 said:

Hey there all.  I know this is not as serious as most of the posts but I cant figure this out.  I just spent 24 hrs plowing and the temperature shown on the screen was accurate the whole time.  Its been couple days now and I just drove to my in laws tonight and noticed the temp was at 50 deg (its 10 deg outside) and kept rising...one deg at a time all the way to 105 or so untill i got home.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening and could it relate to something serious? or just faulty sensor

Its from the plow.  Do you drive with it angled or straight?  If you drive angled the gauge should be accurate.  Straight is when it goes off.  I took one home from work when my blower broke last year to do my drive quick and it said 95 degrees.  I had the blade straight and low at the time.  Angled left and up all the way it read correctly. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived