Use for Instrument Panel Storage (aka the old ashtray)

I've been trying to find a better place for my phone and I've been trying to brainstorm some good places for it.  I don't want it in the cupholders in my flipdown armrest/console because I want to put my cups there.  Because of my phone's stupid size it doesn't fit well in the flat storage area on the top side of the console and tries to install itself in my dash if I have to break suddenly so that's out as option #2.   I saw the post about using the 2WD 'card slot' over the light controls to mount a mini-cd drive phone holder but I'm concerned about rain/weather affecting the phone or usb cord that will be over there. 

All these meandering thoughts have led me to the 'not an ashtray' under the center console officially known as instrument panel storage.  It doesn't seem to fit anything I can think of so I thought I'd ask you guys.  What are you using it for?  I'm debating tossing a magnet mounting plate on it and slapping my phone on it, but if there's some cool use I haven't thought of (possible) or organizer that I might be able to take advantage of that I just don't know about (also possible) I'd like to hear about it.

instrumentstorage.png

Debating it.  I don't really need it in my line of sight since Android Auto does (most) everything I need so tossing it someplace out of the way that's just handy works fine for me.  I'd like to do something with a solid core wire or a coat hanger where I use it to keep my magnetic attach USB cord near where I need it so it can just snap in place when I put it in the location.  I think that's why I was thinking magnet mount since I could almost just throw it at the spot and the cable would (hopefully) connect and the phone would latch on to the dash.

I am still interested in what the not-an-ashtray gets used for.  Hidden light switches?  Lighter and smokes storage?  Condoms because we're all pulling so much tail in our K2's? :D

Edited by boombalatty
  • Like 2

Steelie makes a magnet mount that clips onto the vents.  The only downside with it, that I had, was when you turn (corner/curve), the phone/holder/vent moves towards the outside of the turn. 

I removed that tray and mounted my Tekonsha P3 brake controller there.  I took off that entire assembly in order to get the tray to pop off.  I then just screwed the controller bracket to the front.  When I sell the truck in a few years, I'll just pop the tray back in and you'll never know the holes are there.  I'll take a picture of it over lunch.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 3:07 AM, boombalatty said:

I am still interested in what the not-an-ashtray gets used for.  Hidden light switches?  Lighter and smokes storage?  Condoms because we're all pulling so much tail in our K2's? :D

Pen, business cards and gum. That's all I can fit in there.

I agree that its a pretty useless space and would rather have somewhere to mount my phone. I'm following for any other bright ideas.

I removed that tray and mounted my Tekonsha P3 brake controller there.  I took off that entire assembly in order to get the tray to pop off.  I then just screwed the controller bracket to the front.  When I sell the truck in a few years, I'll just pop the tray back in and you'll never know the holes are there.  I'll take a picture of it over lunch.

Great idea. .. looking fwd to pics...

I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these and jimmy up a coat hanger and some heat shrink tubing to hold the USB cable in place.  I've got the USB cable now and it is irritating as heck.  Because the phone can move and the magnet is weak, it will disconnect just enough to break the connection if it's not laying down occupying all three of my cupholders.  It won't stay connected in the flat top area that attacts phones at all because the phone is too long and it puts lateral pressure on the cable connection that the magnet can't cope with.  Eh, cheap weekend project here we come.  I'll post some pics and stuff.

Slim magnetic mount
Magnetic attach USB cable

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rlosson said:

Here's the view from up top.  Can't really see any modification has been done or the tray is even missing.

20180109_123848.jpg

Edited by rlosson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rlosson said:

Here's the view from down below.  I ran the cables through the open tracks that the trays used.

20180109_123857.jpg

• Like 2

I use that ashtray/storage compartment for receipts! LOL!

I keep a microfiber cloth folded up on top of the jump seat storage box for wiping down the dash, etc...

I rest my phone on top of the cloth. I'm always connected to carplay, so the cable runs right under the lid of

storage to one of the USB ports inside.