Aluminum Stock Rim Cleaning/Maintenance/Refurbish

TEWNCfarms

I just bought some new stock 2011 Yukon 265/70/17 Alluminum rims for $160 with great tires, because my caddy rims have corroded and leaking air now... 

I was thinking of cleaning which I just did, the rims really good with vinegar and steel wool, and then maybe paint the interior and the wheel well interior with rustoleum to prevent any corrosion or anything. The guy at autozone said I don’t even need to worry about... but that’s the guy at autozone...

also the clear coat is coming up at some spots on the front, what should I do to fix this? 

what would be be my best bet to fully clean, refurbish, and maintain these rims? Should I even worry with removing the tire and cleaning the insides, or just get all the brake dust and stuff off and call it a day? Thanks so much for your help!

22CE7506-C5D0-4FC7-88C1-71E596AFD1F3.jpeg

9D379321-8065-48B2-9E2B-EB15F2044E2E.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Paintor said:

Not steel wool. Get a stainless steel brush or grinder wheel stainless brush and go to town taking the corrosion off. Then clearcoat or paint. You will get it shiny with a stainless brush.

Thanks! Do you think just some clear coat will be fine? Or should I do paint? A specific type? Like engine enamel or anything?

what about the front where the clear coat is coming up, it looks like a worm ate some of it like those worms on trees... anything I could do to that? Would I have to strip the clear coat and reapply?

Archived